Chapter Fourteen•Waiting on a War

It was now the week of Eliza's trip. She had spent the past few days packing and preparing to see Dave again.

"You really don't have to fly all the way out here." Pete said on one of their calls. Eliza knew that he was just changing his tone because of what Franz said, but she couldn't let on that she knew anything about that.

"Of course I'm gonna take the chance to see my favorite band out in Europe."

"Whatever you say." He sighed. "See you soon, Eliza."

"You too, Pete." She hung up the phone and sighed. Whatever was going on in Europe was bad enough that even Pete was trying to get her to stay home. She had to assume that the boys were going a little wild, which she had expected when they left. You put a bunch of teenage boys unsupervised in a foreign country, and obviously they're going to go a little wild. But could it be that bad that they didn't want her to see it?

The next night when she called the boys in Europe, she was actually surprised to hear Dave's voice answer the phone. It seemed that the times Pete or Franz would answer outweighed the times Dave would. Eliza tried to ignore all the reasons why that might be, and was just happy that she could speak to her boyfriend again.

"Hey Dave! How have you been, I haven't talked to you in so long."

"Everything's been good out here." She only had to listen to his speech for a second to recognize that he was drunk. She sighed, sad that this rare conversation was to be had with a drunk Dave.

"Yeah, I miss you very much. But I'll see you in a few days, right?"

"Woah, wait. You're coming out here?" Dave stammered.

"Yes, Dave. We've talked about this before." She chalked up his forgetting to his drunk state.

"Oh, Eliza. You can't come out here." He said, stuttering his way through the sentence.

"And why is that, Dave?" Eliza said, changing her tone from being excited to talk to him to one of frustration.

"I'm just a mess, you know me." He slurred.

This let Eliza take a deep breath. So the only reason he didn't want her to visit was because he was embarrassed that maybe he had been overindulging, right?

"Dave, that's ok. I still want to see you, though."

"No Eliza, don't come out here." His sentence was ended by what sounded to be him throwing up.

"Well, I'll let you get some rest, ok honey?" She said, trying to not sound disgusted over what she just heard. That would only prove his point.

"Bye Eliza." He said, abruptly hanging up.

Eliza sat down on her bed, more curious than ever to know what the hell Scream was up to in Europe.

The next day Eliza was supposed to fly out to Europe. As she was doing all of her last minute packing, she had a final conversation with Abby.

"I'm here for you no matter what you find over there."

"Abby, I'm not going to find anything Earth shattering. Maybe just a few empty liquor bottles, nothing else."

Eliza hadn't told Abby all of the drama that was going on between her and the band, but she was able to piece together what was happening based on the phone calls that she heard Eliza having from the other room. From an outsider's perspective, Abby thought that Eliza would be walking into more than just a few empty beer cans when she arrived in Europe.

"Well, call me when you get there, ok?"

"Of course. Goodbye, Abby."

"Bye, Liza."