Chapter Eight•Big Me

"Honey, you look really nice." Eliza's mom complimented her as she descended the stairs.

"Thanks, I really tried." She said, smoothing out the ends of her skirt in hopes that wrinkles didn't begin to form.

"Jitterbug, don't you think you're stressing yourself out too much? It's just Virginia."

"I know." She sighed. "I just don't want to make a bad impression." Today, Virginia had invited her over to the Grohl household for dinner. She'd been over there for dinner many times, so it wasn't the act of sharing a meal with them that was scaring her. It was the reason that she'd been inviting her over that was causing so much grief. Virginia had decided to celebrate the recently formed couple, Dave and Eliza.

They had been dating for two weeks, and it's safe to say that it was the best two weeks of Eliza's life. Dave had been inviting her to all of the shows he'd been playing with Scream, which happened about four times a week. She'd become closer with all of the other guys in the band, all who referred to her as an honorary member of the band. She helped them set up and take down the stage, and had even started help with their recording sessions for their new album.

Even though they'd only spent a few weeks together as a couple, it had felt like forever. Today was the first day that Virginia had free, so she'd chosen it to celebrate. Eliza had known Virginia pretty closely for the better part of a decade, so her impressions of Eliza were pretty well cemented. However, she couldn't get over the fact that this would be the first time she'd be introduced as her son's girlfriend.

So, Eliza did everything in her power to ensure that everything went well in her favor. She had picked out her favorite blue skirt and white t-shirt and put her hair into a braid, tied off with a blue ribbon to match her skirt.

"Here, jitterbug. Good luck." Catherine handed her a platter of brownies that she'd made for Eliza to bring over.

"Thanks mom." Eliza said as she walked out the front door to make the trek to Dave's house, which only consisted of her walking across her front yard into his driveway. She followed the path up to his front door and rang the doorbell.

It was answered almost immediately by Virginia, who wore her warm smile spread across her face. "Sweetheart, you don't have to ring the bell! You're like family."

"Awe, thanks Mrs. Grohl." Eliza replied while stepping into their home.

Dave came from around the corner and embraced her in a warm hug. "Hey Eliza!" He said before giving her a kiss on her forehead.

"Hi Dave." She said, trying to hide her warming cheeks from Virginia.

"Come, dinner is ready." Virginia said, ushering them both to the dinner table.

"Where would you like me to put this?" Eliza asked, motioning to the platter covered in tin foil in her hand.

"Oh my, you didn't have to bring anything!" Virginia responded.

"I got it." Dave said, taking it from her hands and putting it on their counter.

He then returned and pulled out a seat for Eliza to sit in, and pushed it back towards the table once she sat down. Virginia then began passing out the dinner and poured Eliza and Dave a glass of grape juice.

Once she sat down, she raised her glass. "To Eliza and Dave!"

"To us." Dave said quietly, winking at Eliza. They clinked glasses with each other and then dug into their delicious looking meals.

Once they were finished, Eliza got up and began trying to help Virginia clean up the kitchen.

"My dear, you do not have to help. Dave said you guys had plans for after dinner?"