Chapter Four•I'll Stick Around

Two Years Later

"You look great, honey. Really. Go have some fun tonight." Catherine said as she zipped up Eliza's dress.

"Mom, I don't know." She said as she turned and looked in her bathroom mirror.

It was prom night, and it was safe to say Eliza was nervous. She was going with her boyfriend, Matt, who she'd been dating for over a year now. They met while sitting next to each other in chemistry class, and the rest was history. Most of her classmates were shocked when they began dating, as they didn't quite "fit" together. Eliza barely touched 5'3", had long blonde hair, and was known to be the quiet girl around school. Matt, however, was 6'3", the quarterback of their school's football team, and was known as the biggest class clown. So, it was quite a shock when everyone saw them walking the halls together.

"Is Matt coming to pick you up?" Catherine asked as Eliza slipped on her shoes.

"No, I'm driving myself."

"That's a little weird, isn't it sweetheart?"

"No, he just said he wanted to drive himself so he could get there a little earlier, that's all."

Catherine let out a disappointed sigh as she led Eliza out the door. "Have fun tonight, kid. I love you."

Eliza waved as she pulled out of the driveway. Catherine did not approve of Matt. Eliza couldn't see it yet, but he did not treat her as she deserved. He was always off without her, doing strange things. Like not picking her up for prom. Her "mother intuition" screamed every time he walked through their front door. But, these suspicions were to be confirmed by her daughter, not herself. So, she watched as her daughter drove off, headed towards her prom.

Eliza pulled up to the dining hall where her prom was being held, reached for the handle to get out, and then sat back down again. She watched as her classmates ran up to the door, excited to be there. All Eliza could think about was leaving. She tugged at the top of her red dress in hopes of making it pull tighter across her chest. She was suddenly insecure about how she looked in her dress, the simplicity of her hair and her seemingly lack of makeup. She didn't look like any other girl here, and she knew she'd stand out because of it.

Knowing she was going to have to get out eventually, she stepped out of her car. She straightened out her dress, then headed into the dance. The room was completely dark, with colored lights illuminating various parts of the dance floor. She spotted a punch table in the corner and some snacks on the table next to it.

She walked towards the punch table, hoping to spot Matt on the way over. She made her way towards its direction, and grabbed a cup. When she turned back around towards the dance floor, she spotted Matt walking towards her.

"Hey what's up, babe?" He asked as he put his hand on her shoulder.

"Nothing, I just got here."

"Cool. Well, I'm gonna go catch up with some buddies, I'll come find you in a little bit." He said as he walked off.

So, Eliza was left alone at prom while her boyfriend went off with his friends.

She sat there, finishing her punch, looking out into the dancing crowd. She had nobody here to hang out with besides Matt, so she decided to venture into the bathroom until Matt came back to her.

She walked in, and decided to go into a stall. She opened the first one, and felt her heart sink into her stomach.

There she found Matt, making out with some other girl. She immediately shut the stall door and ran out of the bathroom. She went over to get her purse from the rack. She could hear Matt calling after her, and she didn't even look back. She wanted nothing to do with him. She'd wasted a year of her life on some guy who had just broken her heart.