Chapter Eleven•Over and Out

Dave and Eliza spent the next two weeks preparing for Scream's departure. Eliza, who held no bad blood towards the band for leaving without her, attended all of their rehearsals for the tour and helped give them pointers where they needed to improve. They'd slowed their performance schedule to twice a week to focus all of their energy on tour prep. Eliza guided them through it all, from arranging all the meetings with the label representatives to discuss tour plans, helped them finalize a setlist, and even helped some of the members pack their suitcases.

Although she was happy for the band and supported their decision to leave, Eliza couldn't help but feel a little left out. She was helping them prepare for something she couldn't take part in. And a small part of her worried that once the band returned, they wouldn't need her anymore. But, she recognized the fact that none of this was about her and all she could do was her best in helping these boys be as ready as they could for when they took off on that plane.

One day while Dave and Eliza were sharing dinner together on her back porch, Eliza felt her phone ring in her back pocket. She looked down at the phone, and answered right away when she realized it was Paul.

She spoke on the phone with him for a few minutes, worrying Dave at the length of the call.

"What did he need?" Dave asked not even seconds after she hung up the phone.

Eliza sighed, unsure of how the news was going to go over with Dave. "The label's French branch has an exposure show planned, and since one of the bands dropped out, there's now room for you guys to play. Paul was really pushing for you guys to play it, since all of the label reps will be there. It'll get your name out to everyone who's important."

"Ok, why is this such a big deal?" Dave asked, shrugging. "It's just another show. Why'd he call about it?"

"It's on Friday."

"Friday?" Dave exclaimed. "Like the Friday in two days?"

"Yep. This Friday."

"Did Paul talk to anyone else?"

"Yep. Everyone else is good with leaving early. You're the last one he called."

"Eliza, we'd be leaving almost a week early! We aren't ready, there's still so much to do..."

"You're ready." Eliza cut in, placing her hand on top of his. "What else is left to do?"

Dave sat there for a moment, thinking about her question. "I mean, nothing really. I'm just not ready to say goodbye yet."

"Oh Dave, will you ever be? This is a great opportunity for you and the band. You could really get your name out there. Dave, don't turn this down."

"Nobody else said no?" He asked, reasoning with Eliza.

"Nope. Everyone's in."

He sighed. "Doesn't sound like I have much of a choice, now do I?"

"No, you don't."

"Then I guess we've got to squeeze in a weeks worth of memories into a few days."

"I guess we do."

The pair were almost inseparable for the next 48 hours. Eliza had begged her mother to let her spend the night at Dave's, just to soak up every last second that he was in town.

"Jitterbug, no. You can go over there in the morning."

Eliza sighed as she stomped up the stairs. Just as she settled in her bed and reached for the phone to call Dave and tell him that she wouldn't be coming over, she heard a thud come from her window.