Chapter Twelve•Enough Space

"It's for you, again." Abby sighed as she passed the phone to the giddy Eliza.

She threw the phone up to her ear and grinned when the person on the other line began to talk.

"Dave! How are you?"

"I've been good. These shows are gettin' wilder and wilder every night. The crowds actually know our songs, Eliza!"

"That's so great, Dave. I'm so proud of you." Eliza said, twisting the phone cord around her finger.

"I really miss you." He said, his voice growing somber.

"I miss you, too." She sighed and sat down on her bed. "Only two more months until my break and I can come see you."

"Oh, I know. I've been counting down the days."

Eliza smiled on the other end of the line, just wishing that Dave could be with her now.

"Hang on." Dave said, pulling the phone away from his ear. After a few seconds, he returned. "Sorry, Eliza. I gotta go. The boys need help setting up the stage."

"Oh, that's ok. I love you very much David Grohl."

"Love you too, sweetheart. Goodbye." She heard the click, and knew that he'd hung up the phone.

She sighed and rolled off her bed, hanging the phone back up on the wall.

"Awe, does Liza need a hug?" Abby said, coming over and mocking her.

"Oh shut up, will you?" Eliza said, going into their bathroom and slamming the door.

It had been three weeks since Dave left, and since then Eliza had gone off to college. She'd been living in the dorms, with Abby as her roommate. On paper, everything should be going perfectly well in her life. She just began college and was living with her best friend. Yet, something was missing. And that was Dave. As much as Eliza wanted to put on a brave face and prove to everyone that she didn't need her boyfriend with her to have a good time, she was really struggling with the distance that was forced between them. She knew that she was supposed to be happy with this new chapter in her life, but she just couldn't stop waiting for the day that she was reunited with Dave.

"C'mon Eliza, talk to me." Abby said from the other side of the bathroom door.

Eliza took a deep breath, opened the door, and fell into her best friend's arms.

"Oh honey, it's ok." Abby said while stroking Eliza's hair to calm her.

"I just miss him so much. I hate how far away he is." Eliza said in between sobs.

"Let's go out." Abby said, pulling Eliza off of her chest and looking her dead in the eye.

"Where?" Eliza asked, wiping her eyes.

"Out. We're in college. There's parties happening everywhere. Let's go find one. You need to get out of those sweats and realize that there is life outside of Dave Grohl." Eliza sighed, unmoving. "Let's go." Abby said, shoving her towards her closet.

She opened the doors, and rummaged through her closet until she found an outfit that was suitable for going out. Eliza walked in the bathroom, and came back out twenty minutes later looking like a completely different person.

She wore her hair down in loose curls, and had spent time perfecting her makeup. Her top was a black tank top, with lace covering the top half. She had on light washed mom jeans, and finished her look with her favorite pair of black Doc Martens.

"Oh my god, you look amazing!" Abby raved. "Let's go have some fun." She said, grabbing Eliza by the hand and leading her out the front door of their dorm room.