Chapter Seventeen•Good Grief

It proved to be a very difficult task to swear off the most popular thing in the world. But, Eliza tried her hardest. Whenever she heard the all too familiar intro to a Nirvana song being to play on her radio, she changed the station as fast as she could. She had to completely stop putting on MTV while she cleaned her dorm, as she would have to stop her task what seemed to be like every five seconds to avoid having to see Dave's face on her TV.

"Abby, seriously?" Eliza said, exasperated, as Abby walked into their dorm one day, sporting a Nirvana t-shirt.

"C'mon, Eliza. Lighten up. Have you even listened to their music? It's pretty damn good."

She had tried, but it was just too hard. Part of the difficulty came from knowing what their drummer did to her, and the other part came from knowing that Dave did all of this without her. She knew it was childish, but some piece of Eliza knew that she was missing out. She absolutely loved the time that she had spent managing Scream, and it pained her to know the level at which Dave had reached without her by his side.

"I didn't know you weren't over Dave?" Abby asked, still sporting the Nirvana t-shirt.

"I am." She responded, firmly. "It's just weird to see how famous he is, you know?"

Abby nodded in agreement.

The other challenging factor in Eliza's dilemma was Mason. Their relationship had grown very strong, and she was in love with him. But, she had not told him about Dave. He had known about her ex-boyfriend who she caught cheating, but she always failed to mention that he was Dave Grohl. Mason was a huge Nirvana fan, just like everyone else in the world at the time, and she was unsure how he would take the news. But, it did cause some disagreements in their relationship when she refused to let anything related to Nirvana be near her. She tried to play it subtly, in hopes of avoiding the topic altogether. But, there were times when it was difficult to pull off.

"Babe, why'd you turn off the radio?" Mason asked one day while they were driving together in the car. Eliza recognized the intro to a Nirvana song, and she quickly reached for the off button.

"I have a headache." She'd lie.

"Liza, I heard that Nirvana might be staying at a hotel near us. Wanna go see if we can spot them?" He asked one day while they were hanging out in Eliza's dorm.

Upon his question, Eliza could hear Abby choke on her water from the other room.

"That's a little weird, isn't it?" Eliza asked in an attempt to differ him from going.

"All my buddies are going. Wouldn't it be cool to see Kurt Cobain with your own eyes?"

"Go hang out with your friends. It'll be a whole lot more fun with them than it would be with me."

"Alright, if you say so." He responded, defeated.

One day while Eliza and Abby were just sitting in their dorm, the phone rang. Abby picked it up and passed it to Eliza when she realized it was Mason.

"Hey babe!" He said into the phone, clearly excited about something.

"Is everything alright?" Eliza asked.

"Everything is perfect. I just scored us two tickets to Nirvana's show!"

Eliza stayed silent for a moment, already formulating a way to get out of it.

"When is it?" She asked, although she was already well aware that the show was in three days. She had to keep tabs on when Dave would be in town so she could stay in her dorm to avoid any possible contact.

"Saturday."

"Oh, I have a big Econ exam on Monday. I should really stay in and study."

"I thought your big exam was last Monday?"

Shit. "Oh, I meant Government."

"Come on, Eliza. It'll be fun. Did I mention we have VIP seating? We will be in the front row!"

Eliza laughed to herself. There's no way anyone could pay her to go to that show.

Just as she began to lift the phone back up to her ear to tell Mason the unfortunate news that she would be unable to attend, Abby came in out of nowhere and snatched the phone from her hands.

"Eliza would love to go." She called into the phone before hanging it back up on the wall.

"Abby, what the hell!" Eliza screamed.

"Eliza, listen to me. This is your shot. What are you missing about this? This is the best opportunity in the world to show Dave what he's missing. Go to the concert, show off your hot new boyfriend, and make him hate himself for the rest of his life."

She stopped. Abby was right. This was her golden opportunity to shove the whole situation right back into Dave's face.

"Thank you, Abby." Eliza grinned. She had this in the bag.

She spent the next three days planning out everything she could to throw at Dave.

"Hey babe, why don't you get a haircut?" Eliza casually mentioned to Mason tht Friday.

"Yeah, I could probably use one." He shrugged and scheduled an appointment for later that day.

Abby laughed from the bathroom, proud of her friend for being so into her whole revenge scheme.

Eliza spent the entire Saturday morning dressing to perfection. She used face masks, rollers on her hair, and spent about a solid hour picking out her outfit.

"Babe, you're spending a lot of time getting ready for this concert." Mason observed.

"I'm just as excited as you are." She said, pulling him in for a kiss, hoping to further distract him.

Eliza got dressed right before they had to leave for the show, and left both Mason and Abby's jaw on the floor when she walked out of the bathroom in her outfit.

She had found a tight, black mini skirt that sat low on her hips and didn't fall any lower than her mid thigh. She wore a lilac corset top that hugged her stomach just right. Her hair had spent the morning in rollers, so her blonde hair hung in loose curls that perfectly framed her face. She topped off the look with her signature black Doc Marten boots.

"Goddamn, Eliza. Wanna skip the concert and just stay here?" Mason asked, approaching her, sliding his hands around her hips.

She laughed and shrugged him off. "Ready to go?"

"Alright, fine." He laughed.

"You two have fun!" Abby called as the pair walked down the hall. She shot Eliza a wink before she shut their door.

They took a cab to the concert, which was being held about twenty minutes from their dorm. They both entered, handing their tickets to the security guard at the doors. An usher led them to their seats, and wished them a fun show.

"Geez, these seats are incredible!" Mason said, giddy as he took his seat.

Eliza took hers, and took a deep breath when she looked up at the stage. Her seat was centered perfectly to the drum set. Dave would have to be blind to miss her. For the first time in the past three days, Eliza was beginning to regret her decision to come. "What the hell am I doing?" She thought to herself.

"And now, please welcome the greatest band of all time, Nirvana!" An announcer came onto stage and screamed into the mic. The audience went crazy in anticipation for the band to take the stage.

Eliza began to feel her pulse quicken and her mouth become dry.

"Is everything alright?" Mason asked.

"Yeah, everything's fine." She choked out.

"No, everything is not fine. Because I am about to face Dave."