Chapter Thirteen•Come Back

"Awe, is your Davey not answering your phone calls?" Abby teased from across the room.

"He's not." Eliza responded, frustrated. She'd called Dave three times that day, none of which he'd answered. Based on the night before, it was very concerning that he hadn't spoken to her.

"He's literally on tour in Europe, Liza. He's not going to be sitting in his hotel room all day."

Eliza knew she was right, and she knew that she had to lighten up. He was probably just busy. She continued on through her day without calling him. Although she wasn't making an attempt to reach him, it didn't mean that he didn't cloud her thoughts.

Once she'd made it back to her dorm room at the end of the night, Eliza decided that it was time to give Dave another call.

She dialed the number of the new hotel room that he was staying in, and put it up to her ear.

He didn't answer immediately, but when he did, Dave did not sound glad to be talking to her at all.

"Hey Eliza. Now's not a good time."

"Oh, I'm sorry." She was at a loss for words. She'd spent all day fantasizing about the moment that they'd speak again, and she never imagined their conversation going like this.

"I'll give you a call later, ok?" He said.

"Yeah sure that works."

"Bye." He said, hanging up the phone.

Eliza stood there in complete shock. The only thing that broke her silence was Abby talking to her from the other room.

"Geez, not even an I love you?" She questioned.

"Nope." Eliza managed to squeeze out.

"Maybe he was just busy."

"Maybe." Eliza tried not to panic. There were many explanations as to Dave's poor attitude. Truth be told, she had no idea what his life looked like right now. There were many things that could be upsetting him that she just didn't know about. She had to accept that she couldn't be as involved in his life as she used to be, and that she'd have to adjust to this new normal.

Eliza spent hours that night, trying to fall asleep, convincing herself that everything was going to be ok.

The next morning, Eliza awoke to the ringing of the phone on her wall. She ran over and answered it.

"Hey sweetheart, I'm so sorry about last night."

"It's alright." Eliza said, her voice still groggy from her sleep. "What happened?"

"Oh, it was nothing. Can you talk now?"

Completely ignoring the fact that Dave was not going to tell her what had made him act so strange towards her, she affirmed that she had time to talk.

After about forty minutes spent on the phone, Dave finally had to go.

"I'm so sorry sweetheart, I gotta go."

"That's alright. Thanks for talking to me."

"Absolutely. I love you."

"I love you, too." She stayed on the line until he hung up.

"Sounds like you've got your Davey back." Abby said, crawling out of bed.

"Yes, I do." Eliza said, proudly.

"Did he ever explain what happened yesterday?"

"Nope."

"Eliza, don't you think that's a little weird?"