𝓔𝓹𝓲𝓼𝓸𝓭𝓮 45

-•☆•-

SEHUN;

The cobbled-stone path I'm on is uneven and marred with years of neglect. A thick mist is shrouding my vision, giving an otherworldly appearance to the dark surroundings.

It feels as if time has come to a standstill in this place, as if nothing ever changes. Every building seems to be half-destroyed, their windows long abandoned to darkness, and doors rusted, unable to close- why is my mother associated with such an area?

Tall grey walls loom on either side, casting a sense of foreboding. The walls inside the alleyway seem to have a life of their own, built in strange shapes and angles, with ivy and weeds creeping in and out of them.

The air around me is stagnant, yet it beholds the might to send shivers down my spine. The lack of any movement in the air is only serving to amplify the ominous sense of impending doom which hangs like a nimbus cloud over me. . .I think it is going to snow soon.

The only proof that there is life in this place is the occasional footsteps echoing like background noises at a distance...

Marilyn D'Abernon
Lake D'Abernon
12 Street, lane 34,
House- 23
Beoj-Gkoch Avenue.

"Minnie, the address is the same," I scrutinise the name plate again, when it comes to my weakness, I can't really afford to be lousy.

"That is great news, isn't it?" Minhyuk walks beside me, putting an arm around my shoulder- right now that is all I could ask for.

"But, I am afraid, Minnie. Who are the owners? Why would my mom write letters to someone she was not supposed to know? D'Abernon? They are not from Korea, right?" I am afraid. Yes, I am really afraid. I also feel like throwing up, but I have to withstand it, for the sake of the ultimate truth...

"Eve, I asked you to be calm," Minnie holds steadfast, "Ring the bell. I know you can do it. I believe in you," his left arm is cloaked around my back, ending at the shoulder and gripping it firmly, his other arm too, dabbing gently on the shoulder of mine, closest to it.

I blink blankly, chewing on my lips, and gulp my trepidation- I press the bell, which echoes long after I had withdrawn my finger.

A shuffling sound comes from within, I can hear the distinct sounds of a latch being unlocked. Through the small window on the door, I catch a split glimpse of a chandelier- given the circumstances, nonetheless, I can not bear to wonder how the interior looks now, I really cannot care less.

The door creaks open, revealing an old woman hunched over with age. Her face is etched with deep wrinkles, and she owns a stern expression, studying me.

"Who are you?" Her voice is scratchy.

I was not taken aback, not even momentarily, I think Minnie does have some influence on me after all, "Sehun. Yang Sehun. Can you recognise me? I don't know who you are, though?"

The old woman's eyes squint, scrutinising me for a moment before finally nodding her head slightly, "I don't exactly know you. But I think I am getting a hint. Please, both of you, come inside," she gestures for me to enter the hallway.

I follow. The entire building seems like a time capsule from another era. The walls are lined with dark wood panelling and old paintings, and the floors creaks with every step I took. The air was musty and stale, infused with a scent I can not quite identify. "I don't have time to sit, I am sorry. Do you maybe know these owner of the letters? Did someone give these to you?"

"I don't. But let me tell you, we have bought this house from another owner, and I think the letters belong to her. I have enough reason to think that," her voice trails off at the end, demolishing with age.