last chapter

three months later :                                                                    ( in the eighth month of pregnancy )

The cramps in my stomach and the pain that woke me up before would be unbearable, the first thing I started to do was to turn around and immediately I shook Lionel, who was sleeping peacefully next to me, quite roughly. Lionel got up rather quickly, the first question he asked me was " What's wrong love?" at which point he looked at me with sleepy but also scared eyes as he watched me breathing regularly.

" I think I'm going into labor." I said and I was incredibly stressed, I think I was even starting to get scared of giving birth. I kept my hands on my stomach and breathed incredibly fast and loud to dull the pain. Lionel didn't sit still for a few seconds longer and immediately got out of bed and ran to throw on the clothes he was wearing at work. His pants were on in seconds, as was his shirt.

"Lionel please pass me that loose black dress that's on the chair over there." I pointed to the chair at the edge of the room just inside the door, both hands still on my stomach, my arms half open but more often closed than open. Lionel was really fast, he was on me in seconds. He helped me get dressed in a simple comfortable dress.

Once I was dressed, Lionel took the maternity bag I'd had ready for a couple of months and threw the bag over his shoulder, wondering himself if he should call the driver, but knowing that the driver was home and probably asleep, and by the time he got here, something could happen to me and the kids. So he decided to drive himself.

He immediately went back to the bed and took me in his arms, he had a rather heavy bag on his shoulder, and I wasn't particularly light either, so we silently admired how fast he walked with such a heavy load on him. If he could, he would even run. My head was buried in the crook of his neck, I could feel his warm breath on my ear, I was scared, I really was. I don't even know where all the fear came from, I still didn't get it myself, it all happens so fast, and you know you can't change your mind, but you know very well at this point that you can't think selfishly, in fact you can't.

We got to the car, Lionel walked around the car and put me in the passenger seat while I got comfortable, Lionel went to take my bag to the trunk, but within a second he was sitting next to me to be my support through all the pain, the fear, and the elation all in one moment. Lionel watched me all the way to the hospital, whenever I complained about the pain his eyes were glued to me.

"We'll be there love, I promise." He said as he reached out, his eyes glued to the road but his hand caressing the one resting on my stomach. "You'll be fine." He whispered as he lifted my hand from my stomach, bringing it to his mouth and placing a kiss on the back of my hand. His one hand squeezed mine reassuringly, and I was in heaven, just for a moment, before another spasm began.

....................

I was lying on the birthing couch, terrified. Lionel was holding my hand, and I was crushing his finger with my hands. "Squeeze my hand as hard as you need to, I can hold on." He said to me as we looked at him to see if it hurt. The doctors were running around me, getting things ready for the birth. I could feel the babies wandering more and more.

Not a second later, I felt the doctor pull my legs further apart, checking the paperwork to make sure I had no problems during the checks and that I could deliver naturally. He then went to sit in the chair next to me and checked to make sure the babies were okay. But then he immediately turned around, and didn't look too happy.

" Mummy, one baby is fine, it's turned head down, I tried to encourage the other baby to turn as well, but unfortunately I didn't detect any movement that would indicate that everything is okay, the baby's heartbeat is very weak, we will have to take you to the operating room to have a C-section." At that moment I squeezed Lionel's hand much harder than before, tears rushed to my eyes as Lionel suddenly spoke.

"So what does that mean?" Lionel asked, looking at me but only for a few seconds and immediately lifted his head, looking at the doctor who was standing next to him. The doctor took a breath and immediately spoke. "That means we are not sure if one of the children will be born alive. " I started to cry, crying loudly. I buried my head in Lionel's neck as he held me tightly.

" But- But when I had my checkup, the doctor told me everything was perfectly fine." I sobbed into Lionel's neck as he stroked and kissed my hair. " It can happen so fast that no one can notice, unfortunately there isn't a machine good enough to know everything yet, and if the last time you had a checkup was a few weeks ago, everything could still be fine." He said and Lionel nodded, I could feel it.

" We will take you to the OR, your husband will wait for you in the hallway, we will do everything we can, trust me." I nodded fearfully, I looked up as two nurses entered the room and were about to take me away. Lionel leaned over and placed a soft but caring kiss on my lips, immediately afterwards he placed the same kiss on my forehead. "You're strong love, you can do it." He stroked my cheek and seconds later they started to take me away, we reached the operating room and then the lights went out, I fell asleep.

the sequel will be in the next book " the rich husband 2 " you have a lot to look forward to, I love you all for a month and back and thank you for the activity you have shown on this book, I hope it will be the same in " the rich husband 2 "