Just A Friend.

Maya~

As I get home, I stop by the mailbox and finger through the envelopes as I walk up my driveway. I can feel my phone buzzing in my pocket but it takes me until the last vibration to answer. "Didn't think you'd pick up," Christian says on the other line.

I smile, "I just got home."

"It's 8:30 in the morning."

"I had a night shift, remember?" I ask, recalling the night before lasts and the very small but large event that happened minutes before I left.

"Right. You don't sound tired."

"I'm running on a lot of coffee."

I set my stuff down and plop onto the couch, "What do you want?"

"What makes you think I want something?"

"You're calling at 8:30 in the morning."

He chuckles, "Well, I was going to see if you'd want to come to the game tonight but I assume you'll be knocked out by what, 7:30?"

"8:30, tops."

He laughs, "Maybe another time."

"Yeah, but if you want to keep me company before you go in, you can. I have to try to stay up anyway if I want to get my body back on a normal sleep schedule."

"I'll take you up on it. I'll just annoy the hell out of you though."

"If it keeps me awake."

"I'll head over soon. Text me your address."

"I will."

When we hang up, I text him my address before deciding to get in the shower. If he's coming over, I need to shower badly.

I take the quickest shower ever, still being able to wash my hair and body. I'm able to change and semi-dry my hair until I hear the doorbell.

I open the door to see Christian standing there with two coffees in a carrier and a small bag. "I hope you're up for more coffee."

"Oh, and a bagel," he adds, walking into my house.

"You just happen to know my coffee order and that I love bagels?"

"You do?"

"I go crazy for a good bagel."

"I figured you hadn't eaten."

"You would be right."

As I sip on my coffee and eat my bagel, he walks around my house, "This is nice. I wasn't expecting a house."

I smile, "Thanks."

I catch myself thinking back to that not-so-sober kiss we shared. We're both adults and I know we both remember it. Although, neither of us has said a single thing about it.

"What's on the agenda today?"

"I don't know. I just have to keep myself awake until 8:30."

He laughs, "Maybe a little while longer. You have to stay up for my game."

"I won't make it that long. No amount of coffee will keep me awake that long."

He sits next to me on the couch, "How was your shift?"

"Too long and too boring."

"You suck at staying awake," I hear Christian tell me as my head lies on his leg. I'm not sure how we ended up like this.

"You work a night shift and tell me how you feel after," I tell him quietly.

He laughs, his hand rubbing my shoulder. I sit up slowly, his hand drifting across my back, "How long?"