Even Numbers Are Better.

Maya~

"Christian, I don't know what I'm looking at," he says, trying to show me a blueprint of our house.

"Well, you're not really looking at it."

I look down at my phone, "I'm at work."

"You told me to call you."

"You asked me in the first place."

I stumped him with that one. "Just act like you know what I'm talking about."

"Christian, you know what I want. I know what you want. You said it was all possible. I have full faith in you with this entire process."

"That's really sweet but I still need your input."

"On?"

"I texted you the list."

"The list? Is it a mile long?"

"It's like five things."

I open our messages, "Go down the line," he tells me.

"Overhead shower head? For our bathroom, yes."

"A kitchen island is an obvious yes but how big?" he asks.

"Whatever looks good. I don't want it disproportional. Plus the overhang that we talked about."

"Is 5 bedrooms enough?"

Bridget looks over at me, holding up her hand to show me five. I nod. "Yes. Us, a guest room, and three extra for future use."

Bridget nudges me with her foot. "Stop it," I tell her.

"12-foot ceilings?"

"As long as I can fit an 11-foot Christmas tree in the house, yes."

"Okay, and 2 or 3-car garage? I figured if we had 3, we could use it for storage."

"That's fine. Why don't you send me the PDF version of whatever you're looking at and I'll make Bridget help me decipher it."

"Okay, but how is Bridget going to help? I thought I did a good job of explaining it."

"Bridget's dad is a contractor in De Pere. You were pointing at lines like I was supposed to know what they mean."

"I figured you were paying attention."

The desk phone starts ringing. I'm closest so I pick it up. I hand Bridget my phone as I answer, "It's Maya."

"Hey, it's Julia. We're about to leave the station with a safe haven baby. She's looking to be a few days old. Whoever dropped her off, stayed hidden. She was left with a note. Looks like she wasn't born in a hospital so I doubt she has any vaccinations. But she needs to be looked at. Give us five minutes."

"Okay, I'll meet you there."

I put the phone back before standing up and stretching out my back. "Safe haven baby is coming," I tell Bridget.

"How old?"

"Only a few days. She wasn't born in a hospital."

I take my phone back, "I'll call peds."

I set my phone down, "Do you have to go?"

"I do. I need to make some calls."

"Okay, call me later."

"I will. I love you."

"I love you too."

He hangs up, "Can you go wait for them? I need to call social services she's probably MPD."