Precautions.

Maya~

We ended up not going to dinner tonight. It wasn't going to happen. So we settled for sweatpants and take-out food.

He takes my empty container. "Thanks."

He nods. I stretch my legs out on the length of the couch. I watch him walk back to our room.

He's in there for a few minutes before coming back out. He lifts my feet, sitting in the spot they laid. He sets his laptop on my shins.

He's in between his phone and laptop for a few minutes. "So I could probably come back Tuesday night," he tells me.

"Probably?"

"Yeah. I don't know what I'll tell them but I'll figure it out."

"I'm going to have Bridget do a blood test for me on Monday. So if something changes, you don't have to come back."

He looks at me like I have two heads, "I'm coming back regardless."

"Okay."

"You can't get rid of me that easily."

He puts his laptop on the coffee table before laying with me. We struggle to get comfortable, "This isn't working."

"It'll work."

He rests a hand on my waist, his head on my arm and chest. This doesn't work for him since he's tall. It doesn't work for me because I'm being squished. He thinks we're comfortable when we're most definitely not comfortable.

Bridget hands me a paper as I sit at the desk. "What's this?"

"Results," she tells me.

"Did you look?"

"No."

She stands behind me as I open the folded paper. I look through all of my levels. 'HCG' catches my eye. I follow the row to see the value. It's higher than normal. I follow the paper down to the bottom.

Diagnosis: Pregnant

I cover my mouth as I'm shocked. I couldn't believe it. I mean, I can believe it but holy shit. This is actually happening. I sent a picture to Christian so he's in the loop of everything.

I fold the paper in half and sit back in my chair. Bridget comes around and squats in front of me. "Are you okay?"

I slowly nod, "Yeah. I'm taking it all in. I came to terms with it this weekend but I wasn't sure if it was actually going to happen."

She hugs me, "Why don't you take an early lunch and go call him?"

"Yeah, that would be great. Thank you."

I take my lunch out to my car. I set my car on the steering wheel, balancing it so it's straight. When Christian answers, he wants to see the paper.

"What are those numbers?"

"Just other levels in my blood. It's normal. They're not important."

"Are you okay?" he asks as I poke at my salad.

I nod, "Yeah. It's going to be fine. I'm going to talk to one of the OBs that comes down regularly and see if she's taking any new cases. I'm hoping to get scheduled for Wednesday."

I put the bowl on the passenger seat before lifting a leg to put on the seat. I smile and shake my head, "I can't believe this."

"I know."

This is insane. We're having a baby. I don't feel any fear as of right now but I'm sure it'll hit me at some point. I get to watch him be a dad. I was never sure we'd experience this together and I'm so glad we can.