Up In The Air.

Maya~

I walk up to the PICU once again as Braden is about to be discharged from the hospital. I got a group together to show how much we care and how proud we are of him.

"Okay, stay here. I'm going to go check everything out," I tell everyone.

I scan my badge to let me through the doors. Destiny stands outside signing the rest of the discharge papers. "Hey, I got a little something going for Braden. He's come so far. We're still pulling for him through PT and OT."

"Maya, you didn't have to."

"I know. But if it were my kid, I'd appreciate the gesture."

"You already know how appreciative I am because of you."

"I know. But a little more doesn't hurt anybody."

"I'll go get him. He's really excited to get out of here."

"I'm sure he is. We're all so proud of him."

She hugs me, "Thank you for everything."

"You're welcome."

I go back to the hallway where nurses, his team of doctors, and orderlies line the hallway up to the elevator. I stand next to Bridget as we wait.

When Braden and his mom come out, both are surprised at how many people are here for them.

When they get to the end, they have him ring the bell. Normally, it's reserved for cancer patients. But they like to do this in the PICU when a child gets through a long period of recovery. He's got a long way to go.

As soon as they're in the elevator, everyone scatters. At the end of the day, we have jobs to do. They know how proud we are.

"Mind if I take my lunch a little early?" I ask Bridget as we walk back to the ER.

"No, go ahead."

When I get to the staff lunch room, I take my lunch bag out of the fridge and grab my keys and coat from my locker to sit in my car.

I set my phone on the steering wheel as my car warms up. I have the heat blasting and my seat warmers on high.

Cases like Braden's make me so mad at the beginning. Then he does the unthinkable and can go home today. While recovery will be rough and I bet he's scared out of his mind, he did it. Cases like his make me proud to be in a profession where I can see physical progress in children, adults, and sometimes the elderly. I tend to get emotional when these come in. He has an entire team working to make him better. We focus on how to get him to be like a kid again. It makes me sad that he had to go through it but also makes me grateful that I know we have the resources available to do the unthinkable.

I let out a small laugh and shook my head. I've spent so much time digging into his case because it truly touched me differently. Maybe it's because I connected with his mom early on. Maybe it's because he's a kid. Regardless, he changed my life.

I check Christian's location to see if he's doing anything. It's more of a safety thing than anything. He likes to know when I'm at work and when I'm at home. It takes away a bit of anxiety for both of us. I don't like being 2,000 miles from him. It sucks. I genuinely miss him so much. April can't come sooner.

I decide to call him. I haven't talked to him in a couple of days so I should check in. We've texted briefly over the past few days. We've both been busy.

He doesn't pick up. I try again but get the same response. Well, now I'll have a boring lunch break. I was hoping he'd pick up.

Maybe I'll have to stay at his place tonight. I'm really missing him. April is a bit away from now.