Everywhere It Shouldn't Belong.

Christian~

Getting home, I park in the garage, leaving more than enough room for Maya when she gets back. I check to see if she'll be back soon. She's been at work for more than a day. So I know she'll be tired when she gets back. Her location is in the center of the ER. Something tells me she'll be a little while longer.

The least I could do is clean up a little bit. I play music through the TV and clean around the kitchen while also starting dinner for us. She's going to need something refreshing and filling because I'm sure she snacked all day and didn't have an actual meal.

After a while, my phone buzzes on the counter.

Maya 🩷: Please tell me you're home
Me: Waiting patiently for you!
Maya 🩷: You have no idea how happy I am to hear that

I put my phone down, grab a towel, and put it in the dryer. I go back to my car, grabbing a few special things Maya's dad gave me today. He wanted to meet up and talk about a few things so we both drove to a halfway point.

I stuff the things in the bottom of my nightstand drawer. I can hear her coming into the kitchen. "Christian?"

I make sure to close the drawer before meeting her in the kitchen with open arms. She walks into my hug, "How was your day?"

"Fine."

"I'm still making dinner but if you wanted to shower, it'll be done before you're out."

"Okay."

She doesn't let go so I don't let go either. She mumbles something into my shoulder. "What was that?"

"I'm really glad you're home this week."

I rub her back, "And two off days."

She lets go, "I'll be back."

I watch her walk back to our room. She's exhausted.

"Thanks for cooking," Maya tells me as she brings her dishes to the sink. She rests her hand on my back and stands with me.

"Of course."

I look down at her as she leans on me. I'm pretty sure if she sat down on the couch, she'd be asleep within five minutes. "Are you going to fall asleep on me?"

She laughs, "Maybe."

I load the dishwasher and make sure it runs through the night. "Do you want to go to bed?"

"Yeah."

I shut the lights off as I followed her back to our room. I let her get ready for bed first.

"Don't fall asleep," I warn as she gets in bed.

"No promises. I just worked for 27 hours."

I smile, leaving the door cracked. When I'm done, she's sitting up in bed scrolling through her phone with her glasses on. I love it when she wears her glasses.

I keep my lamp on. "I never asked you how your day was," she tells me.

"You don't need to ask me that. I do the same thing every day. I'd rather hear about your day."

"You want to hear about my 27-hour shift?"

"Of course."

"Well, I slept for 2 of 27 hours in the hallway on a very hard mattress. That's the only sleep I got. I think I walked a total of 25,000 steps. We had four MVCs come in. I think I saw a total of 94 patients ranging from chest pains to illness to severe out-of-my-hand care. So I think my brain is mush at this point."