Couldn't Get Any Better.

Maya~

Waking up to my phone ringing incredibly loudly in my ear, I sit up, confused as to who is calling me this late at night. Christian starts moving next to me. I answer my phone, getting out of bed so I don't disturb him.

I close the door behind me before answering, "Hello?"

"Hi, sorry, we're short-handed and just had a really bad accident come in. Is there any chance you can come in?" Bridget asks.

"Why are you working right now?"

"Josh has a business meeting tomorrow in Chicago so I picked this shift up. So can you come in?"

"We're flying to Nashville tomorrow."

"What time is your flight?"

"2, I think."

"I'll make sure you're out of here by 8. A few hours, please. It's bad. Nobody knows what they're doing and god forbid they listen to the night NP."

I sigh, "Okay, fine. Give me like 15 minutes."

"Thank you so much."

I go back into my room and pull out a pair of sweatpants from my closet. I put a sweatshirt on before going into my bathroom.

I fix my hair and brush my teeth before going back out to my room. I should probably tell Christian I'm leaving.

I kneel by the bedside and rub his arm. "Hmm?"

"I have to go to work but I'll be done by 8 and back for our flight."

"Why?"

"There was an accident and they're short-staffed. I'll be back."

He starts sitting up, "I'll take you."

"No, it's fine."

"No, you won't come home until after 8."

"I don't want to wake you up if it's 4 am and I come back."

"I don't care."

We sit in silence, staring at each other, "You're not winning this one."

"Fine."

He gets out of bed as I go into the kitchen to make coffee. As I wait for it to brew, I find my glasses since I don't have time to put in contacts. I slip my feet into my work shoes before opening my garage door and starting my car.

I toss some snacks into my bag as Christian comes out to the kitchen. "Who called you in? Sydney?"

I laugh, "Bridget."

He takes my keys from the counter as I pour the coffee into a tumbler. He holds my coat out for me to take. I put my bag by my feet as I put my coat on as he backs out of my garage. "If I don't text you by 7:30, come back."

"Okay."

I clip my badge to my sweatshirt as he pulls around to the circle drive at the emergency room. He stops the car. "Thank you. I'll let you know when I'm done."

I kiss him, "Okay. I love you."

"I love you too."

I rush into the hospital, quickly putting my scrubs on and meeting Bridget in the hallway. "Look, I'm not staying past 8," I tell her.

"I know. Just handle this case with me. The night NP doesn't know what she's doing."

"Who is it?"

"Kate. She's new. One, she's not you. Two, she had to keep looking up things in her manual to see if were doing it right so I left her alone. I know what I'm supposed to be doing. I don't need her to tell me how to do something I already know how to do."