Flip The Script.

Maya~

"I'm going to go to DC with the team and support," Christian tells me.

"You should."

"We were supposed to have home-field advantage but they bombed the last few games so now they're on the road."

"Do they know you're going?"

"I'm going to act like I'm going in for PT but actually get on the bus. Only Ryan knows. He convinced me to come out. Felt right."

"When's that?"

"Tuesday. We're flying out tomorrow night."

"And what happens if you lose?"

"I'll go home next week but I still have PT stuff with our staff for the next week."

A day I didn't want to come isn't that far away. All I can do is hope they win on Tuesday. I want a few more weeks with him before the season ends.

"Can we go to bed?"

"You're staying?" he asks.

"Yeah."

"You have work."

"Okay?"

"Where's your stuff?"

"In my car. I was planning on leaving at 5:40."

"I'm getting up with you."

"Why would you do that to yourself?"

He laughs, "Why not?"

"I could think of ten reasons why you shouldn't."

"What are you up to?" Bridget asks, coming up to me.

"About to go tell this kid and her mom that I can't do much for a toothache."

"Isn't a dentist available for that?"

"They sent them to us. Poor kid got her wisdom teeth out a couple of days ago and got infection. It's not uncommon but she hasn't been able to eat or drink much. She's in so much pain."

"All you can do is send them home with antibiotics."

"Yep."

I feel my watch buzz my wrist so I look at it.

Christian: Just landed in DC. Talk later?

I pull out my phone to text him back.

Me: Of course. Off in 3 hours

"Who's that?" she asks.

"Christian."

"I only ask because you're smiling at your phone. What's he doing?"

"He flew to DC with his team to watch them play tomorrow." I finish typing the prescription for the pharmacy. I write a few notes on the printed papers before stapling them together.

"Why?"

"Because he can support them and whatnot. It's an all or nothing game."

"Already?"

"Yes, unfortunately."

"What does that mean?"

"He'll go home."

"That's it?"

"I don't know what more you want from me."

She laughs, "We'll talk later."

I tap the papers on the counter before going back to my patient. I knock before entering and sit on the chair closest to her mom. "So I can't do much and I know you both want better news than what I'm about to give you. It's most likely an infection and so I've put in for a prescription. It's a liquid but she needs to eat with it. Her face is still pretty swollen so lots of ice and rest. Mashed potatoes, applesauce, and ice cream are going to be your best friend."