Chapter Nineteen

I opened my teary eyes to see his reaction. His dark eyebrows furrowed as he let the information sink in. He rolled over so he was lying on his side, his hand still cupped my face.

"Ours?" He asked so quietly you almost wouldn't hear it.

"Yes." I replied in the same inaudible tone.

He nodded and swallowed slowly. I watched as his Adam's apple bobbed in his throat. He kept staring into my eyes blinking every so often. His hand ran down the side of my body and crept its way over and across my tummy to where our baby would have been. His eyes were now looking down where his hand was placed. The gesture moved me in so many ways.

"How long was she there, did it hurt her?"

"Not long. I don't think so."

"Oh my God I killed our baby-I-I almost-"

"-Chris stop, we've been through this, it was an accident, it's over now and we still have each other."

"But we were going to be parents. Oh shit! You? Are you able to?"

"If I heal okay we should still have children but there's a possibility that we won't."

I hadn't thought more about it since Louise had told me. I had forgot until something triggered me to remember. Chris was lying with his head across my shoulder and his hand draped over my tummy. I could sense him trying to be strong. He was blaming himself.

"I killed her."

"Chris no! D-don't say that, we didn't even kn-"

"Did you say we?"

"What?"

"You did. You said we can still have children."

I felt a blush spread across my face. His smile would melt anyones heart. I hadn't realised Chris was broody. I hadn't even realised that I had said that but I didn't mind. The more I thought about it, the more I wanted it.

"I almost killed you and now you want my babies."

"But Chris the thing is you didn't kill me you saved me, I'm alive because of you. It could have been anyone that crashed into me, that was my fault."

"I'm so sorry."

"I forgive you, I love you, I love you more each day Chris, whatever happened, it's over."

"But the baby.."

"Christopher Thompson, please, can we forget and move on. For me? For your fiancé?"

"Fiancé? Did you just-"

He sat up and stared into my sparkling eyes. I had thought about his question a lot. I mean A LOT. I knew it would happen at some stage. I didn't care about Sebastian. I wanted the man beside me. I wanted him beside me for the rest of my life.

"I did."

"I don't think I've ever had so many emotions at once. What about Sebastian?"

"What about him?"

"He's your boyfriend?"

"What? No he isn't?"

"He told me, he rang me that night and told me he felt it was decent to tell me that you and him were officially a couple?"

"What?"

"I know it wasn't fair to ask you to marry me but I don't know I just couldn't lose you again."

"Chris. I'm not with him. We aren't together, we never were."

"Are you saying he lied to me?"

"It makes sense, that's why you were so angry and wouldn't even listen to me! That fucking jackass! I'm going to kill him!"

"Woah baby no you aren't. He gave me this to give to you."

Chris reached down to the side of the bed, pulled something out of his trouser pocket and handed it to me. I didn't react and let him keep holding it out in mid air for me.

"You still want me right?"

"Gabriella I've wanted you since the first day I laid eyes on you in your Civic."

"So-"

"We are engaged, it's me that should be scared, not you. I told you, I'm not losing you again."

I nodded and took the envelope into my hands. Chris lay beside me quietly as I peeled back the flap and slid out the paper. I sat up and tucked myself up in the egyptian cotton sheet. I prepared myself with a deep breath and began to read whatever was on the letter.

Dearest Gabriella,

I have realised these past weeks that I am not the one you love. I may have been pushy but I'm not used to girls like you, the ones who don't want me. I don't mean to blow my own trumpet but I've never been rejected in my life and I didn't understand. Please forgive me for that.

The other night, I arrived at your house to visit you, I seen something I will never forget for the rest of my life. I seen a man crying, your man. He was crying while talking to someone on the phone. He explained how his heart felt. How he adored you and didn't feel like he could live knowing how he had almost ended your life. That was partly because of me. I lied to him in an attempt to have you to myself. I won't forgive myself for that. I was foolish.

The main point of that story is that I realised I couldn't break your love for each other. There was no comparision to the love Christopher has for you and the love I thought I had for you. Don't get me wrong, I still have high feelings for you and it kills me to have to leave you behind, even if our future was only friends.

As I write this I'm on my way to the airport. I have been offered a massive deal in America which I am required to be over there for full time. I decided to let Sabrina stay here, with her friends and move off myself to start fresh (in other words, without Cat Kelly).

Thank you for the wonderful time we shared and if I'm honest, the amazing sex. Good luck with your future and get well soon. I hope we keep in touch, as friends. If you ever need anything, just ask. I will do anything for you.

Love, Seb x

"He's leaving." I stated to Chris.

"I'm sorry Ella." He tried his best to be sympathetic and it made me cry with laughter.

"You are a terrible liar."

"I hate that guy."

"That's more like it."

"I want you to keep this quiet until I can put a ring on your finger and propose to you properly like you deserve. Do you mind?"

"I can't deal with romantic Chris." I teased.

"Shut up El."