Chapter Twenty Seven

It was ten past midnight when my phone started ringing. I was still awake with Chris, he was definitely right about me after I won a rally. He groaned in annoyance when I reached across him for my phone. It was Louise. I found it strange that she was up so late at night, I knew she wasn't with Simon because she wouldn't be ringing if she was so I felt the need to answer her.

"Gabriella?"

"Hey Lou, what's up?"

"Oh El, I'm so sorry to ring you but I need to tell someone."

"What's wrong? Are you crying?"

"I just, you know how I am- I've been staring at it for an hour and a half now and I don't know what to do!"

"Staring at what? Do you want me to come over?"

"I really want you to but I know you're with Chris and-"

"Give me twenty minutes, I'll be there."

I hung up. I knew Louise didn't panic for no reason and I knew she would be too polite to expect me to leave.

"Chris honey?"

"You have to go?"

"I'm sorry, I've never heard her so panicked and-"

"I understand, I'll be here when you get back, do you want me to drive you?"

"No it's okay get some rest. I promise I'll make it up to you."

"I know you will."

We shared a quick kiss before I grabbed Chris' keys. I had came in the rally van so I needed to borrow his A4. I was surprised he let me near his baby. I headed for Louise's flat. It was a contempory apartment in a well-off area. The scene from her windows was beautiful at night time. You could see all the yellows and oranges of the city lights glistening and twinkling in the dark of the night. There was something comforting about it to me which I didn't understand.

I buzzed her bell and she immediately let me in. I found her in her bedroom with her legs bent up to her chest and her head in her hands. She was rocking herself silently to and fro. Her nose was a rosy pink colour as was her eyes and cheeks. I wasn't sure just how long she had been crying but it had to have been long enough for her skin to be stained pink.

"I'm so sorry Gabriella, I just need someone right now."

"What happened? What's the matter?"

"I've not been well, my period was late and being a doctor I figured something was up so I decided I'd, you know, do a test. Ella it came back positive. I'm pregnant. I don't know how it happened, I've always been careful, I'm on the pill and Si told me he's sterile-"

"Woah calm down, you're speaking at about 100 miles an hour and thats a lot of news but it's great news isn't it?"

"No! No it's not. My parents will kill me if they find out. I amn't married. I amn't even engaged."

"It's definitely Simon's?"

"Yes definitely."

"I know it's a lot to get your head around and to be honest, I'm not great at these kind of things, you're basically the first friend I've had that's female but I'm here for you and I'll support you the best I can."

"What am I going to do?"

"First of all you need to tell Simon."

"What! I can't tell him, he won't believe me, he'll think I'm trying to trap him or something and he probably doesn't want a baby anyway and he'll leave me!"

"He's not like that, you and I both know that. He probably won't believe it at first because if he's meant to be sterile then that's expected. Do you want to have the baby?"

"I don't have another option. I don't want an abortion. I can't believe this happened."

"Well he needs to know Lou."

"I know he does but how do I even go about telling him?"

"Do you want me or Chris to talk to him first?"

"No, I'll do it."

We continued talking until she fell asleep at five past three. I went into the modern vintage styled kitchen and propped myself up against the wooden worktop. I pulled my phone out of my pocket and rang Chris. I felt terrible about the hotel thing but clearly Louise needed me.

"Hey babe."

"Hello Chris, did you stay up this whole time?"

"Yeah I can't sleep."

"Why not?"

"I don't know, it feels weird without you."

"Ew stop that mushy stuff."

"It's true!"

"Okay well I'll leave Louise's now she said it was fine to go when she sleeps and shes asleep so.."

"Alright good, chat to you soon."

"Love you."

I hung up and got straight into the misted car. The night was cold for this time of year and I couldn't wait to snuggle up next to Chris. It felt weird to think this time two months I would be married. I glanced down at the glistening ring on my left hand. The way it sparkled and let the street light reflect off it was beautiful.

I was busy staring at my engagement ring when I received yet another phonecall. This time from the security company that secured my house and the garage. I quickly answered the phone as panic shot through my drowsy body. This was turning out to be quite an eventful night.

"Hello?"

"Miss Fitzpatrick, It's Craig from EC security."

"Yes is there a problem?"

"Your house has been broken into, the police are on their way. Are you able to come out? I tried the house phone but I figured after your win today you'd be away."

"Yes I am away but I'll be there as soon as I can."

I began to think of why anyone would want to break into my house. It was a well secured area and all I had was my cars and a really expensive necklace from Sebastian and of course Leon. Leon! A new surge of panic pressed its way through my body as I raced quicker to the hotel to pick up Chris. I rang Leon to see was he okay as soon as I thought of him. I couldn't stand to think he could be hurt.

"Leon are you okay?"

"Yes why?"

"The house was broken into?"

"Oh yeah that was me sorry, I'm a little drunk right now and I didn't know where the-"

"The police are on their way out to the house you idiot! I'm going to kill you Leon!"

"S-sorry sis-in-law, I love you."