-Prologue-

What happened prom night didn't really unfold that way. Actually, I was finally able to tell him only a few days after I made my decision and he took it well. We ended up changing our plans from college to life after college. We made it through college together, meeting up whenever we could. Katelyn was getting a little annoyed that when I went down to FCU I spent most of my time with Laurie, but in my defence I spent a lot of my break time with her..  And in fact, we actually got really good at long distance and we called almost every night.

He graduated on time with his bachelors degree and I graduated early with my masters. Thankfully, we didn't graduate on the same day, so we were able to go to each others. His family insisted on me sharing a hotel room with them, but I kindly refused. I spent Laurance's last night in his dorm with him. Our plan was to move in together after I graduated, even though my dad and sister hated the idea. As soon as I was done, we drove back together, blasting our playlist. laughing, and holding hands the whole way home. We had fun painting the walls and putting furniture together as we prepared for our new life together. 

About a month after we moved in, he told me that he had a special date planned for me. I put on my best dress, which was a sage green and creme mid length princess cut dress. As I was finishing up, I heard Laurance knock on the bathroom door. "Hey, Leo? It's almost time to go."

"One, second." I was just putting my earrings in.

"Okay." I opened the door and he was turned around, buttoning the sleeves of his button up. "By the way, do we have anymore-" He turned around and paused, looking me up and down.

"So? How do I look?"

"Y-you look..." He held my hips and gave me a tender smile. "You look stunning, my love."

"Aww! Thanks, hon!" I stood up on my tip toes and gave him a little kiss. "So?"

He kept staring into my eyes. "So."

I grabbed his arm and looked at the time on his watch. "Is it time to go?"

"Oh, we have a few minutes." He started kissing my cheek and neck.

"No!" I giggled. "You said that we had to leave by seven o'clock, it's seven ten."

"Fine." He gave me one more kiss. "But you're mine later."

"Deal!" He took me to dinner at a nice restaurant and brought me to our favorite fro-yo place before telling me that he had one last stop to make. "What is it? Just tell me!"

"No, I want it to be a surprise!"

I rubbed his arm. "You know I don't like surprises!"

"You'll like this one, I swear." He kissed my hand while he kept his other on the wheel on the road. I kept pestering him until we pulled up to a cute little park. 

"What are we doing here?" I asked him as he helped me out of the car.

"You'll see." He gave me a big grin and he guided me through the park until we got to a little stream. "Look."

I looked around. It was beautiful. There were willow trees hanging over the water, creating a sort of private area for the two of us. There was a quiet chorus of crickets and a calming bubbling of the river. But-

"Laurance, it's gorgeous, but why did you-" I gasped when I turned around. "Laurie!" I whispered, holding my hand over my mouth.

He was kneeling on one knee and had a velvet box with a emerald ring with a gold band. "Leo. You are the most amazing, smart, funny, and confident person I know, and I'm so incredibly lucky that you have chosen me. Through thick and thin, you've been been both supportive and have given some of your best advice, even when I didn't want to hear it. You're my best friend and the love of my life. I can't imagine my life without you. I love you. So will you do me the immense privilege of marrying me, my love?"

"Yes! Of course yes, you doofus!" I threw my arms around him and tackled him in a hug.

At least, that's how it went in my head. At the beginning of my time at college, I lived in the world of if only. I had lost the love of my life that day, and I wish that I had just had the boldness to tell him when I made the decision. I think everything would've worked out if i was just honest.

But instead, I was stuck in the world of if only.

Hey! Author here. There will be a small break between book 1 and 2, but I'm almost done with this book (yay!) and I'll begin weekly uploads (semi) soon! Enjoy!