chapter 1

"Come on, Harry, we're going to miss it!" Hermione scolded, pushing Harry and his trolley in front of her in an effort to hurry him up. Everyone else had already gone through to the platform, only Hermione and him left to walk through with their trolleys. 

They had just gone shopping the day before for supplies, and by shopping, he and Ron had spent most of the day walking along Hogsmeade sipping butterbeer while Hermione fussed about which advanced edition of Transfiguration textbook she wanted. He'd had a decent time, but he felt the whole day as though there was a growing pit in the bottom of his stomach. 

"I just have to tie my shoe, go on without me," he stalled, bending down to tie his already tied shoe. He had been making excuses all morning, delaying the group as much as possible. He didn't mean to entirely, and he felt bad about making the others late, but the closer he got to Hogwarts, the worse he felt. 

"Harry, they are tied, lets go." Hermione said angrily. He huffed and stood up, glancing at Hermione before staring down the brick wall in front of him. He didn't know which was worse, going back to school or facing Hermione's wrath. Deciding on the latter, he broke out in a run toward the pillar, the world around him shifting as he entered Platform 9 and 3/4. 

He was immediately hit with a memory of running through the platform so many years ago with Ron and his brothers. A flash of pain echoed through him as he realized that Fred would never run through that platform again, a sense of intense grief tunneling through him like a bullet, there then gone in an instant. He took a large gulp of air, realizing he was now standing on the opposite side of the wall. 

He glanced around, seeing the hustle and bustle of kids saying goodbye to their parents, running to get their things on the train, and making sure their animals were locked up tightly. He saw friends hugging each other, grinning ear to ear as they clamored excitedly about going back to school.

Hermione appeared beside him a moment later, glaring at him before storming off towards the train to get her things on. He stood in that spot for a moment, staring at the familiar train in front of him. He took some deep breaths, closing his eyes. He didn't know why he felt so panicked all of a sudden, but he knew he needed to get over it, and soon.

He pushed his trolley through the crowds, his heart panging familiarly at the thought of his own parents waving him off to Hogwarts; a dream he'd dreamt for many years that had been eating away at his heart ever since he first stepped on this platform at 11 years old. 

Harry eventually made it onto the train, trying to calm the nerves that were slowly starting to build up inside him. He heard the train whistle, signaling that it would be leaving in one minute. He continued on through the train until he found Hermione and Ron in a cabin, sliding into it. 

"Finally, Harry I thought you weren't going to make it," Hermione said, shaking her head disapprovingly at him.

"Sorry, Hermione, I just don't feel too well to be honest," he murmured, sitting down after placing his bag in the above compartment. He didn't feel good at all; he was sweating, his heart was racing, and his head was pounding. 

"Oh no, mate, you think you're getting sick?" Ron inquired, patting him on the shoulder gently.

Harry shook his head. "I think I'm going to try and catch some sleep," he said, turning in his seat so his head could lean sideways against it, closing his eyes. 

He kept his eyes closed as he heard Hermione and Ron speaking in hushed tones about 20 minutes later.

"I'm worried about him. He never was able to really grieve anyone, not Sirius, or Remus, Dumbledore, or even his parents..." Hermione said softly, concern laced in her voice.