Chain of Mistaken Events. 5

"Em... that's me" Beam spoke, startling Forth who'd been quite busy staring at the wall full of family photos. He'd been so lost that he didn't even realize Beam had returned and stood watching him for a while now. 

Forth blinked, looking the younger boy all over with his mouth hanging open. Though, Beam told him how young he was yet seeing him in that oversized black sweatshirt that hung dangerously loose on his pale shoulder and almost reached his knees, his pale, blemish free legs showing from his shorts, making his mouth water. Wa-WHAT THE HELL?! HE'S YOUR BROTHER IN LAW, YOU BASTARD!

Wait a minute! No, he's not!

"Ah... y-yeah, yeah, I can definitely tell" he coughed and pointed at a baby picture. "Who else would have those chubby cheeks and those puppy eyes begging to petted"

"Huh! Hey! I'm not chubby! And I'm not a pet!" Beam stormed. "And you're annoying! No tea for you, get out!" huh, outrageous! Chubby?! Him? How dare he?! Who says that to someone?!

Forth laughed out. "I'm kidding! Your... nana, was it? She told me!" he said and sighed. "Eh, and about earlier, what I said about your boss..." he trailed off and Beam gave him a sharp, pointed look. 

"Yeah? Nana told you that too?" he asked sarcastically. "Whatever, I don't really care what high opinions you have of me but one shows their own character when they point a finger at others!" he said with a smile and turned away, leaving the burned.

"Ah, that hurt" Forth put a hand on his chest and Beam sneered.

"Not pretty, is it?" he asked and Forth sighed, walking up to settle on the couch in front of Beam.

"Not really. I am extremely sorry..." he said. Damn it! In proving him fishy, I've turned myself into a jerk! Am I really mistaken? But why does my heart not believe it?

Beam sighed tiredly and nodded. "Alright then. But please, don't expect to always say whatever crap to people and be forgiven right away!" he said just as nana returned with their teas.

"Here kids, have tea!" she said, putting the cups down and ruffling Beam's hair before walking to his room. "You! You wore those rags again? You have cupboards full of nice, proper clothes! What would the guest say, seeing you in those? Ah, and you left your clothes scattered again!"

Beam groaned. "Argh! These sweats are comfy!" he whined, blushing. "And why would the guest mind my clothes when he's wearing teared up ones!"

"Hey! This is fashion" Forth felt offended on behalf of his ripped jeans.

Beam made a face. "Yeah, yeah, have your tea"

Forth smiled and reached for his cup. "By the way, who is the lady? Em... your parents were dead, right?" He asked and Beam smiled softly.

"Yeah, Nana... my nanny and then after dad... well, she raised me. She was like a mother or older sister to my dad" he said and Forth nodded.

"She has that look, you know. The stern, intimidating look. I remember my Thai teacher in middle school. She had the same look. And even though I don't really remember her being even slightly mean to anyone, she just glared the life out of us" he said and Beam chuckled, shaking his head. "Really, we were all so bloody scared of her that one look from her, and we'd just spit it out, sorry kru, I didn't do my homework! I was watching football! And she would only give you her dirty look and a few choice words but they terrified the hell out of us!"

Beam chuckled. "Well, that is actually, exactly how the whole apartment complex feels about my Nana, she's a baddy! P'Lam says we could use her tongue to butcher, would work better than knives" he joked. Then he sighed. "But I'm really grateful for her, see, I was raised without parents but... I like to believe I was raised well, I was loved well, far better than many" he said, his eyes soft as he talked about the woman and somehow, Forth could tell how much respect and regard Beam felt for her.