10. Jump, Jump (Everybody).

As Shayne sits in the passenger seat of Max's red pickup truck, he can't help but feel a mix of emotions.

The encounter with Oliver in the alley has left him feeling conflicted. A part of him still yearns for a connection, while another part is trying to protect himself from further heartache.

Max glances at Shayne, concern etched on his face. "Are you okay, man? You seem a little off."

Shayne sighs, running a hand through his hair. "Yeah, I'm fine. It's just... Oliver showed up out of nowhere, after Ethan and I grabbed a bite."

Max's eyes widen. "Let me get this right, you go from cranky nobody who can't even pay his half of rent on time to a love magnet?"

Shayne groans. "Just shut up and drive. You're a good friend, but I don't even remotely have enough coffee in my system to give you the cussing you deserve after that one.

Max grins, "Damn right, I'm a good friend."

Shayne isn't sure why that's the only part he seemed to hear.

"Now, let's blast some tunes and forget about the drama for a while. You can fill me in on your pancake date with the comedy king while you're at it."

Shayne turns up the volume on the radio, drowning Max out as his roommate shoots him a glare, but he keeps cruising down the road regardless.

It's nice to just enjoy the music, especially when he'll have to face it himself in less than 10 hours.

"I should've just worked at the damn coffee shop," he mumbles under his breath, pressing his face to the window as sleepiness takes hold.

He does end up falling asleep for the rest of the ride home; the last good sleep he'll probably have for a while.

***

"Hey, Sleeping Beauty, we're here."

It's his sister's voice this time, Monday morning now that brings him out of a daze even after a cup of coffee; Old Humphrey seems to purr louder knowingly now that he's awake. He swears the car is haunted.

"Thanks for the ride."

"It's what annoying older sisters are for. You going to be OK in there?"

Shayne gives her a half-hearted smile. It hasn't been an easy past few days, and he's been absolutely dreading this. It doesn't help at all that Lisa has already texted him his assignment for the day.

"Well, I'm not exactly thrilled about being a cameraman for Oliver and the women. I don't want to be in another confessional with that man for as long as my legs walk this Earth."

Lily chuckles. "Well you can't say your day won't be eventful, and at least it's all business. You don't have to worry about him going out of his way to talk to you."

(Shayne is 99.9% sure Oliver won't be doing any talking to him today.)

He rolls his eyes, a mix of resignation and reluctance evident in his expression. "Let's not get ahead of ourselves. It's just another paycheck and opportunity."

Lily nudges him on the shoulder before gesturing for him to get out. "Whatever gets you through the day baby bro. Let me know if y'all get done early."

Shayne nods, gathering his belongings and stepping out of the car. He waves his sister off before making his way to the front door. As he walks up the pathway, he can't help but feel a flutter of nerves in his stomach.

He opens the door and steps back into the familiar but strange space, immediately greeted by the usual lively atmosphere (like it's not the butt crack of dawn). The mansion is thriving with activity as crew members set up equipment and the remaining ladies are being interviewed.