33. Did You At Least Bring Us A Postcard?

"I don't think I'm ever getting on another plane again, I'd rather take a damn ship back to Australia," Shayne is saying as the plane touches down at LAX.

He eagerly unbuckles his seatbelt and gathers his belongings, ready to escape the confined space and reunite with his loved ones. He says his goodbyes to Lisa, the crew he's bonded with, and decides it's probably for the best to bypass the ladies (besides he'll have a swarm of U.S. paparazzi to deal with now). He also decides not to wait for Oliver, who he imagines Penelope is probably briefing about the best course of action to defuse the literal bomb that's about to go off now that network is only a short drive away. He imagines executives are probably breathing down her neck for an explanation and, for once, he feels kind of sorry for her.

As Shayne walks through the airport, carry-on and luggage now in hand, he spots Lily and Max holding a funny sign that reads, "Welcome back, troublemaker!"

He can't help but smile at the sight of his sister and his roommate together. It feels a bit weird to see them as a couple, Max's free arm around her waist, but he's genuinely happy for them. He approaches them, giving Lily a playful nudge.

"So, you two finally made it official, huh? I'm starting to think I'm the only single one in this family," Shayne teases.

Lily rolls her eyes, but there's a hint of a blush on her cheeks. "Well, don't worry, Shayne. Judging by how much this scandal with Oliver is blowing up, I imagine you'll both have to make it Instagram official to calm the masses."

Max chimes in with a smirk, "Now that's something I can't wait to see. Sholiver is my endgame."

Shayne laughs, feeling a sense of warmth and familiarity surround him. It's good to be back home.

 "Sounds like you both are getting pretty far ahead of yourselves," he says. "We'll have to survive the network potentially ripping us a new one and suing us into oblivion first. We also haven't talked about if there can be an us."

"Haven't talked about it?" Lily asks. "You both were basically eyefucking in the garden when I first met him, I don't get how much more straightforward you can get than that."

"Besides," Max adds, "you both really like each other if sneaking around blew up the show, thanks to Ethan's crazy ass. You almost have to try it out and see if it sticks."

Shayne slightly nods his head. He knows they're both right in their ways, it's just not a luxury he's given himself at this point. Sure they've hooked up, texted more than he's ever texted anyone, and kissed a few times; but can there really be more than that? Regardless of how this ends, they're both going to have their careers to salvage; he's not sure if they can or will work when the dust clears.

"Speak of the devil," Lily says, interrupting Shayne's thoughts.

Shayne turns to see Oliver approaching them. His heart skips a beat at the sight of him. Despite the frustration evident on Oliver's face, he looks incredibly hot. The way his jawline sharpens when he's annoyed, the intensity in his eyes, and that perfectly tousled brown hair—it all makes Shayne's heart race.

Oliver smirks, his gaze locked with Shayne's. "See something you like?"

Shayne's cheeks flush, and he quickly averts his gaze. "N-No, I mean... I was just... um, you know... glad to see you."

Lily and Max exchange amused glances, clearly enjoying themselves (Shayne makes a note to murder them later). 

"Hope the rest of your flight was a little less uneventful," Shayne says to him. "Thanks for having my back."

Oliver shrugs. "I kind of blew everything up for you, had to make it count mate."

They both offer each other toothy smiles before Shayne regains his composure, turning back to his sister and roommate. He gives Lily a tight hug, then turns to Max and gives him a friendly pat on the back. "You two idiots better have kept my couch clean while I was gone. I expect a thorough disinfectant if you hooked up on it."