20. Oli On The Barbie.

"I just hope the restaurant isn't up in flames by the time we get there."

They're cheeky words coming out of Shayne's cute mouth as Oliver tries very hard not to stare at it.

He knows his brain is telling him a million things right now, but staring intensely at a guy you're conflicted about kissing again probably isn't the smartest move before a date with an influencer.

The car ride seems to fly by as they travel through the vibrant streets of his birthplace. Despite how horrible things are going so far, he can't help but feel a tinge of excitement knowing that they get to eat at a place that holds so much sentimental value to him. He glances over passed Sophia, at Shayne.

"I hope you're both ready to experience the best barbecue in town," Oliver says, his voice filled with enthusiasm. "This place holds a special place in my heart. I used to come here with my family when I was a kid."

Shayne turns to him, a playful grin on his face. "I'm honored to be part of this culinary adventure."

"Lead the way, barbecue connoisseur!" Sophia chimes in, with all of the subtly of a stampede of elephants.

The truth is, he's probably made a case for getting Shayne involved in these dates more than he probably should (Penelope would echo that). He knows Sophia has to be his priority for the cameras, but it doesn't all have to be fake when Shayne's there (he just wishes there was a way to handle how he feels without fucking everything up).

The sight of the old, rustic building with its weathered wooden exterior brings back a flood of memories. 'The Barbie' is just as beautiful as he remembers it. The tantalizing aroma of smoked meats and seafood wafting through the air, making his mouth water.

The group steps out of the car, the heat still clinging to them, but their spirits remain high after their shared trauma. Oliver leads the way, eager to show off his favorite spot to Shayne, Sophia, and the production crew following closely behind.

As they enter the restaurant, the ambiance instantly brings Oliver back in time. The interior is cozy and dimly lit, with a rustic decor that added to its charm. The walls are adorned with vintage photographs and memorabilia, each telling a story of the restaurant's rich history.

The scent of smoky barbecue fills the air, mingling with the chatter of other patrons and the clinking of cutlery. Oliver can't help but smile, feeling a sense of warmth and nostalgia wash over him. He glances at Shayne, really only hoping he can sense the magic of the place.

"It's just like I remember it," Oliver says, his voice shaking. "The smell, the atmosphere, everything. This place hasn't been touched since I left."

Shayne nods, his eyes taking in the surroundings. "I can see why it holds a special place in your heart. It's probably like stepping into a time capsule."

Oliver smiles, grateful that Shayne understood the significance of this place to him of all people. But he quickly reminds himself of the cameras and the need to focus on Sophia.

"I'm excited to share this experience with you Sophia," Oliver says, his tone filled with sincerity. "I want you to see a different side of me, to feel the warmth and love that this place represents."

Sophia smiles, forcing her hand into his and interlocking their fingers. "You better give me a full tour then. I want to see all of your secret spots and hidden gems. Make me fall in love with this place as much as you did."

With that, she's pulling him away, leaving Shayne in the dust, but still at the very top of his priorities.

***