34. I Hope You're Wearing Your Big Boy Pants.

"I swear to God if either of you blows this I'm going to have to take on newbie clients, and I haven't had a newbie client since I helped Oliver's ass land some gigs."

Penelope is not mincing words as the limo she's rented for them all is driving toward the EBC corporate office. She's picked them both up early from the bowling alley, leaving a very tired Max and Lily to lock up once they also have to leave for their work days. Shayne has to admit sleeping on the floor was rough, and wishes he had been bold enough to demand cuddles from Oliver. He reminds himself he's going to have to define whatever the fuck this is sooner rather than later (but first they have certain death to face).

"We'll be saints Pen," Oliver's accented voice is saying through a thick yawn, the words nearly garbled. "Scouts honor and all that good stuff. Right, mate?"

Shayne nods aggressively, all but certain Penelope is far from in the mood to be pissed off.

"Do they know Oliver offered the cast and crew the money for wasting their time?" Shayne asks, very thankful Penelope was kind enough to at least bring them some coffee as he takes a sip.

"You're damn right they know about the money," she answers. "When has anyone on a reality TV show ever been able to keep their mouths shut? It's the only reason I was able to work any kind of magic to get the women left not to completely bash you, but the women you already eliminated are a different story. So basically, the sooner we all get our asses chewed and grovel at their feet the better."

As they get closer to the skyscraper-like building, Shayne can't help but notice more and more media crews gathering near the entrance of the network. The paparazzi seem relentless, their cameras ready to capture every moment. He'd be lying if he said he wasn't freaked the fuck out. 

Penelope takes a deep breath, preparing them for what's to come. "Alright, listen up. When we get there, we'll be greeted by the network executives. You both will have to do most of the talking, especially you, Oliver. They'll be looking for an explanation, a justification for all of this, which I wish you luck with. We need to make them understand that it was a necessary move to salvage the show's reputation."

Oliver nods, the weariness evident in his eyes. "I got it, Pen. I'll do my best. Just hoping it doesn't blow up in our faces."

Penelope continues, her voice firm and instructive. "Shayne, your role here is to be the supportive idiot. Smile, nod, and agree with everything Oliver says. They barely need to notice you're there."

Shayne listens intently, mentally preparing himself for the role he needs to play. It's not about him or his grievances right now—it's about Oliver and salvaging their careers. He can do this.

As the limo pulls up to the EBC corporate office, the media crews pounce.  Penelope takes charge, ready to guide them through the nod with a steely determination (Shayne has to admit, it's pretty damned badass, even if she just told him to pretend to be clueless).

They step out of the car, Penelope leading the way, shielding them from the worst of the paparazzi. The network executives are waiting for them, their expressions a mix of curiosity and concern.

Penelope's voice cuts through the noise as she addresses the executives, her tone unwavering. "Gentleman, Mrs. Granger, thank you for having us. I'm sure you're eager to get some answers, and we're here to provide them."

The executives nod, their eyes assessing Oliver and Shayne. 

"Quite," one of the middle-aged men with a handlebar mustache starts. "Mr. Henderson, surely you know how bad the optics are here. I can't for the love of me figure out why you would be this dense. They do not teach you all how to not screw up multi-million dollar advertisement deals overseas?