That Terrifying Talk

Omelette lays underneath his blanket as he watches Pauline and Egad argue, Pauline pacing around the room in the process.

Pauline: "AGAIN?!?"

Egad: "YES, AGAIN! LOOK, IT IS NOT MY FAULT IS HE IS EXTREMELY SMART AND WAS ABLE TO REWIRE MY REMOTE SO THAT IT WOULDN-"

Pauline: "HE DIDN'T REWIRE IT, HE JUST BROKE IT! THERE'S A DIFFERENCE!"

Egad: "HE WAS JUST USING SOME CREATIVE PROBLEM SOLVING!"

Pauline: "CREATIVE PROBLEM SOLVING? EGAD!"

Egad: "WHAT?"

Pauline stops and turns to the smaller man.

She breathes in before continuing to talk.

Pauline: "You have to stop.....letting him go out on his own..."

Egad stares at her for a moment.

Egad: "IF HE DOESN'T GO OUT ON HIS OWN, THEN HE'LL NEVER GET TO FEEL THE INDEPENDENCE HE NEEDS! ONE BUILDING ALONE CANNOT SUFFICE AS THE ENVIRONMENT HE NEEDS TO GROW!"

Pauline shakes with anger.

Pauline: "Professor......you are not his dad, YOU CANNOT ACT LIKE THIS IS A NORMAL SITUATION THAT YOU'VE PUT ANY OF US IN!"

Egad: "WHY? WHY CAN'T IT BE NORMAL? IT'S NORMAL FOR THE PUNCHOUT DINER FAMILY, IT'S NORMAL FOR THEM!"

Pauline: "IT'S ONLY NORMAL FOR THEM BECAUSE I DEEMED DONKEY WORTHY OF CITIZENSHIP AFTER PROVING HIMSELF AS A LOYAL CITIZEN! HE DIDN'T GO AROUND DRAWING EVERYWHERE AND THREATENING TO EXPOSE HIS OWN EXISTENCE!"

Egad: "HE DESTROYED A PART OF OUR CITY!"

Pauline: "AND THEN HE PAID FOR IT BY LOSING HIS WORLD AND HIS FAMILY!"

Omelette slowly, and sadly, looks down at the mattress of his bed.

Egad: "AND THEN HE ATTACKED YOU AT THE PIPE SITE!"

Pauline opens her mouth to speak, but then slowly shuts it as she looks away from him.

Egad: "....The only logical reason that you would let them keep him around is because you feel bad about your falling out with them!"

Pauline then crosses her arms and turns away.

Pauline: "This isn't about me..."

Egad: "YES IT IS! YOU'RE THE ONE WHO CONTROLS I-"

Pauline: "I HAVE A DUTY TO PERFORM AND A PEOPLE TO PROTECT! I CAN'T JUST BE HANDING OUT FREE PASSES TO GO TERRORIZE THE CITY!"

Egad: "HE WO-"

Pauline: "YES HE WILL!"

Pauline turns and slams her fists down on a table. Omelette jumps back in fear as Pauline pants. Egad, seeing her frustration, walks over to her and pats her on the back. At first, she tries to jerk away, but her body stops half a second later, realizing that he is trying to console her and not attack. She sighs.

Pauline: ".....I've been under a lot of stress since what happened with the Mario Bros..... I've had to do a lot of work to cover everything up only for people to eventually come out and say that they have photos of what happened..... I just....don't want what happened before....with Bowser.....to happen again.....and believe me, those murals, which for some reason won't come off by the way, do not give me any hope...."

Egad: "Oh, believe me, I'm working on something to handle those murals.....but, believe me, Omelette is a very smart egg and wouldn't try to do anything like that! He's just....expressing himself, that's all!"