Chapter 2: Kate Thatcher

"Darling, come here!"

What the fuck does this man want from me? I do all his bullshit bidding already. He's a fucktard, but he knows he can get away with it. I've got nowhere else to go. No family to run to, definitely no friends or intimate relationships, and he or one of his bonehead henchmen would kill me before I even made it out of the house. 

My fucking father, Andrew. I mean, why do I have to be another person with daddy issues? It's not my fault that he runs an arms dealer and assassin organization. I just don't understand why I have to be so fucking involved in it. 

Not that I'm bad at my job, I'm one of the best, but I just don't want to be. I want to be a woman who runs her own business as a financial consultant. It sounds boring, but money has always interested me. What people will do to get it and keep it, what people spend it on, and how people manage it for their own lifestyles. 

I think because I've never been able to have my own financial independence, I live vicariously through those who have it. I find it extremely fucking interesting.

But no. That's not my life, and it probably won't ever be, unless my father dies sooner than expected. Instead of that dream coming true, I get to kill people for a living. I get to infiltrate their lives, make them vulnerable, and then torture them for information that my father wants. 

I've been doing it for ten years. I'm not new to the idea of killing or doing shit I don't want to do. Killing people, torturing them, and making them bleed, doesn't make me happy. I don't enjoy the idea that I'm hurting someone who probably thinks they have a good reason for doing bad shit. 

I mean, there will always be collateral damage; it can't be avoided. I'm subtle about it though.

I push open my father's office door to see him running a hand threw his hair.

Maybe that's why he's going bald. He does that a lot.

"We are having issues."

"What kind?"

"Devil's Rose issues."

Those assholes aren't making my life any easier. Honestly, I kinda fucking hate them. If they would just give up by now, let us have our weapons and money, I wouldn't have to do more of my father's bidding in Texas. 

I could be on an island in Greece, sipping on a glass of whiskey on the rocks in a bikini while seducing a man I will have sex with and then kill. Sometimes I even get an orgasm. Major bonus for my job. I wouldn't be here surrounded by fields and dipshits, instead, I could have an ocean and dipshits.

"What do you want me to do?"

"Infiltrate, per usual. But, it's not a get-in and get-out type of situation. I want you to take it down from the inside. Slowly and carefully keep them preoccupied with other things."

"Do you have a way you want me to do this?"

"Start fights. Steal money. Whatever."

Eh, that's not usually my style. I don't prefer taking down organizations by starting fights. It's just not my thing and way too much work. I figure it will be easier to pick one person and drag them down. 

If I get one person to fall, everyone else will become distracted by that situation, and eventually, they will come crumbling down without even realizing it. Through my many escapades, I have become a pro at what I do. And although my father's method may work, I think it's best to play by your strengths to get the job done right. 

I don't want to fuck anything up besides I thought listening to my father was the best idea. He hasn't been in the field for a long time, I can admit that and he can even admit that himself (not that it changes his mind on decisions he makes) but it also allows him to give me some space in deciding what's best for the current situations. 

He trusts me. Not that anyone should. I'm a backstabbing bitch.

I think I'm not even going to need to steal any money to accomplish what my father wants. In the end, we will be able to take it all anyway, so stealing doesn't make much sense. Why risk getting caught when I could pretend to be someone else entirely? 

I've done that more than anyone else, including my father, and I'm fucking good at it. Play to your strengths while you work on your weaknesses, that's what my mother used to say. Not that she would know I was using her particular quote for these types of situations, it's come in handy more than once. 

It's not like my parents weren't in love because they were; my mother just couldn't handle the lifestyle my father created for himself. She needed to leave. I understand that. I don't blame her for making that decision. 

If it were me, I probably would have done the same thing, for better or worse. Anyway, that doesn't matter anymore. My focus, my life, is different.

"When should I get started?"

"We're trying to find a way in now. There haven't been any good opportunities yet. We might need to wait for a few days."

"What do you want me to do now then? I mean, do you have anything to keep me busy?"

"Unrelated to Devil's Rose, yes. There's a man I need you to kill for me."

A contract kill, how fun.

"I'll get ready."

"I'll send you the details."

I head to the armory, gathering my favorite weapons and cleaning them. It helps me focus. About ten minutes later, my phone beeps, and I see the encrypted text message of the man that has to die. Blonde, blue eyes, five foot six, and a golfer. So average, perfect. 

We don't need any more average men on this planet anyway. Apparently, he's committing tax fraud against his constituents, so he's a terrible guy. None of the people I kill are innocent, that's one thing I know working for my dad, so I don't have to feel too guilty about it. 

Because that's how that works, right? 

I click on the link that is tracking his location, and he's actually in his office right at this moment, so I've got to wait before he starts heading home to his wife and kids who don't know he's cheating with his assistant. Could this man be any more cliché? 

Like what the actual fuck is going on? At least be creative with your terrible lifestyle. They've all got to be the same fucking people over and over again. Never anyone interesting, fucking hell.

I watch through the cameras of the building he works in as he begins to finish up for the day, and I know that I should get going. I don't even need to change my outfit for this. It couldn't be a better deal. 

I think that my father's going to have more plans for me when I'm done with this if he doesn't figure out a way for me to get into the Devil's Rose soon. I'm kinda hoping he does. That way I can be away from him for a little while and get some time to just do my thing. 

I casually drive behind him, slipping in between the car of some of his bodyguards and him. But not to make myself suspicious, I turn down a separate street, making it look like I was only going to be following him briefly. What they don't know is that I'm about to cut him the fuck off, shoot him, and drive off. 

Two minutes later, that's what happens. He tries to sneak through a back alley (his normal route) but I'm there waiting for him. I don't even have to look in his direction before I shoot. Someone else will confirm the shot, but they don't need to, I know I hit my target.

I'm back at my apartment before anyone even knows something happened. Besides the people who need to know, my father in particular.