Chapter 4: Kate Thatcher

"We've done it."

"We've done a lot of things. What have we done now?"

"Technically, this isn't your win-" When has anything ever been my win? "-We've gotten you into Devil's Rose."

"Quicker than you thought."

"It's our lucky day."

He means his win. It's his lucky day. He doesn't have to go dismantle an entire organization slowly from the inside out to steal weapons and money we don't need. But, who's to argue with the man of the hour? The man of every single hour of my fucking life.

"You're gonna hate it, darling."

If it has to do with children, I'm gonna shoot myself in the foot, so he doesn't make me do it.

"You're gonna be a babysitter."

Where's my fucking gun? I'm going to do it. I'm going to fucking shoot my fucking foot off.

"The moment I turned sixteen, what was my one rule? No children. Ever."

"You know this is important, Kate."

"Important for who? For what? What are we getting out of this?"

"Are you going down this road because of children?"

"Have you met children? They are disgusting and horrible creatures."

"You were a child."

"Not for very long."

He heaves a sigh, rubbing his forehead with his palm.

"You don't have a choice. I will have someone kill you if you don't do it."

"Let them kill me. It would be easier for the both of us."

"Think about the money, Kate. You could use it to run away from all of this at last. To find your bitch of a mother or some shit."

He does have a point. Not the mother thing, but the money thing. It would be enough to leave and never have to return. It would be enough to get out of this life without debts, blood or money. It's enough to be free. And I can't risk having an opportunity like this again. It probably doesn't exist. 

As much as I hate children and really couldn't give a shit about the Devil's Rose MC, it's becoming clearer that I need to start caring. Everything seems to be pointing in that direction. I listen to what else my father has to say, which is just about the family that I'm going to be "babysitting." 

A four-year-old girl named Faye and a six-year-old boy named Xavier. He told me something about their mother leaving them when they were young, so I can relate. The Devil's Rose MC connection is that their father is Bear (actually named Dorian) who is part of the inner circle of the MC. 

I don't know what he wants me to do with Bear, but he says I need to figure out how to get to Bear to break him down. Reading between the lines, he wants Bear to fall in love with me.

"How did you do this in less than 24 hours when you were so convinced it would take days?"

"I might have offered something to them."

"What?"

"More like who."

"You've already offered me."

"Not all of you."

Fuck. My dad is an asshole.

He's talking about my future. He's offering my services and whatever that entails. I could still get enough money to leave, but it's going to be harder to get out. I'm now part of a trade between organizations, not just a private agreement between two individuals.