Chapter 23: Dorian Saunders

Kate's up to something. She can hide it from everyone else, but I know better. I know I can't follow her because Alpha called me and told me I needed to come into headquarters as soon as possible. I imagine it's for missing yesterday, but he doesn't say anything about it when I arrive. 

Instead, he has me organizing his files like I'm his fucking assistant. While I'm not super happy about the job, I think he has another reason for it. The man has reasons behind the reasons for every action and decision he makes. 

I'm missing something, and I hate feeling that way. I know for sure that Alpha and Kate are holding information. Reaper might be in on it too, but I can't read him and the only evidence I have of that is Alpha and him talking briefly, but shit like that happens all the time. 

It's normal for us to have private conversations with one another, so it's not evidence. 

Persephone would know, I'm sure of that too, but I would be murdered if I ever questioned her. Partly why it's a good reason to tell her shit is because everyone is terrified of asking her anything. The other part is that she's incredible at keeping secrets. Anyway, I know something's up.

Does Alpha's organization job have anything with him wanting me to figure out what's going on while not having to ask? Probably. Am I going to take advantage of that? Hell yes, I am. 

Do I feel slightly guilty about it because of Kate and her desperation when she told me that she doesn't want me to know? Honestly, not really. I deserve to know. She's looking after my children. I've let her into my life, and I have to do what I have to do for my family. 

What if she's endangering them? Would I be endangering them more if I found out what's happening? I would be more likely to be attacked if I knew, but doesn't the information just prepare me for the eventual situation I'll be in when we finally confront the arms dealer? 

Will Kate also be pissed that I didn't trust her enough to just let it go and let her figure it out? Most likely, but I can get over that. We could get over that, right?

"Why are you staring at that unopened file so intently?"

I turn my body to see Carbon standing there and observing me with scrunched eyebrows.

"I'm just thinking," I remark with a sigh.

"What's going on?"

"It's complicated, Carbon. I'm not sure what to do."

"Do you need help?" he responds, taking a step closer to me.

"I do. I honestly do, but I can't ask for it. Tank asked too, and I appreciate it, but this is something I truly have to work out alone."

"Hmm. And there's no hypothetical you can ask about?"

It would be a dead giveaway, so no.

"I don't think so."

Carbon nods his head in understanding but doesn't leave the room.

"I'll help you organize. Alpha gave you this job to tease you a bit. About yesterday."

"Ah, I wondered why I was on the bench."

We smile at each other as we start to work through the piles of files in the corner of the room.

"Why aren't you on the computer?" I ask Carbon.

"Scout's got it. He wanted to work alone, so I backed off."

"You mind?"

"That I get to rest? Hell no. Why would I? I've been working hard with this whole arms dealer thing which fucking sucks. I need a break."