Chapter 27: Dorian Saunders

Kate stands frozen for a minute, gun still raised, and her father's dead body dropped to the floor. His blood runs over the carpet and onto the hardwood floors. She actually did it. Holy fuck, she actually did it. She lowers the gun slowly and releases the trigger, but the gun to safety.

"You got what you wanted, Bear. Are you happy now?" she questions me.

"I-I don't know what to feel."

"You aren't alone in that," she speaks while stepping away from the dead body and to Reaper and Alpha.

I'm in total shock. I haven't witnessed anything like that before. It's like I can't breathe. How did it come to this? How did I force her to do this? How could I be so wrong? It's over. The fucking past month has been complete bullshit over Andrew, and it's done now. 

Everyone who's still alive has been arrested from the warehouse, headquarters, and here. I'm still standing there when Andrew's body gets wrapped in a black sheet and rolled to the ambulance. All I can feel is the pressure pulsing in my veins and the headache growing.

"Bear?"

Someone calls out to me but they sound like they are drowning, muffled. A heavy hand is laid on my shoulder, and I can finally tell that it's Tank.

"Hey, are you alright?"

"I forced her to kill her dad."
"You did," Tank replies.

"How could I do that?"

"Sometimes, we become blinded by anger. And we do shit we shouldn't have done."

I nod my head at him, but I can't even look him in the eye. I don't know how to go forward from here. I don't know what to do next. I'm still mad at Kate. I'm pissed that she lied, and I'm pissed that she protected me. 

It's weird to say out loud, yes, but if she wasn't so worried about my safety, this could've ended so differently. 

Part of this is on me too. I didn't have to react the way I did. I didn't have to say the things I said. And I certainly didn't have to make her do this. I just, I was so fucking mad that I forgot to be human. I was not thinking of anyone else but myself. 

I was a complete dickhead. I couldn't face the fact that my children could've gotten hurt because of my decision to let Kate into my home even though I was suspicious. In denying my own idiocy, I took it out on her, and that was wrong of me. 

I can't come back from that. Neither of us can come back from what has happened. These past few days have changed my life for better or for worse. My life, it's never been easy, but fucking hell, it's never been like this. I've never faced anything like her before. 

This intelligent, gorgeous, force of a woman has thrown me for a fucking loop. I'll never be the man I once was again. I'm fucking changed.

I've seen parts of myself that I didn't know existed, both good and bad. I didn't know I was capable of half the things I had done in the past seventy-two hours plus. I truly don't know how to go on from here. I need to call my mom. But first, Kate.

"Have you seen her anywhere, Tank?"

"Kate? She's outside with Reaper. She didn't look good when she walked out."

"I should talk to her."

"Even if you fight, yes, you should."

When I walk out the front door to the yard, I don't see her right away. I peer over the groups of Devil's Rose and police officers handling different and more personal trade-offs while Alpha talks to the Chief of Police for more group-beneficial aspects of what Devil's Rose has done.