Chapter 46

Jorgette

The cold wind of the night sent shivers down my spine. I looked over the balustrade and saw people coming to and fro, families of merchants going back home from a busy day in the capital's market, children laughing at their siblings as they play with their abilities and their mother reprimanding their shenanigans, couples having a nice dinner at the food tavern across the street. Something about the peacefulness and mundanity of their day is constricting my insides, "Hey..." I looked beside Aidan who stood beside me, "Any news?" He asked quietly and I looked him in the eye. His gaze was empty but searching, "What?" He asked when I didn't say anything for a few good seconds and only looked at him.

"Nothing, it's just surprising."

"What is?"

"This. You... initiating a conversation with me without mockery or sarcasm." He opened his mouth to say something but closed it again like a fish breathing underwater, only he's the most annoyingly handsome golden-head fish, "You're that worried about her, huh?"

"She's just a novice. It's natural to be concerned when she's sent on a high level mission when she's not had adequate training as you and I."

I scoffed at his sorry attempt of denying his feelings, "She's a controller. Her ability could land her the rank of an infinitus if the academy knows about this," he looked at me with wide eyes, but not from the information I just dropped on him rather from the surprise that I knew about it this whole time, "How did you know?"

"I wasn't sure. But she manifested that ability back then at the forest, and then during when people found you two together in the hallway. She froze all of the people there who saw you come back from the library to escape the scandal it might cause," I explained.

"You saw?"

"I was passing by and I saw the commotion so..."

"We're just friends. The gossip is just that gossip."

"You didn't have to explain or appease me, this is a marriage of convenience after all," he only made a guttural low sound, "Hmm, it's still improper as a noble man to be caught in a scandal with someone else when I already have you as my fianceé."

"Right, I almost forgot you're the most dutiful and honorable crowned prince of the land," I said this time with both teasing and a hint of truth. He really is a dutiful son, he decided to close the investigation of the death of his first love just to secure our betrothal, and I understand how painful that is for him which is why he could never open his heart to the 'replacement.' And the existing hatred that the monarchy have with the Land of Devonshire is not helpful in creating -even at the very least- an amiability between us either.

"We both are; you as the heir of your own land, and I as the heir to the throne. I guess duty is what makes us compatible with each other. We may not love each other, but we can certainly be good leaders for our people," I looked at him softly and observed how the moonlit night shone brightly over his face, highlighting his features even more. He was about to say something more but something in a far distance caught my attention. A familiar silhouette flew over the dark sky and the full moon. Its wings flapped strongly until it landed over the balustrade beside me. I petted its head and it purred under my touch. Aidan saw it and attempted to pet its head as well but Rexel's Familiar is quite picky with people that his eagle leaned his head away from Aidan. I looked at Aidan and shook my head at him.

"He's sensitive to strangers," I said and took the message from the cylindrical container, and color drained off my body as I read its content.

"What?"