Chapter 36

Jennifer

"Are you okay?" napalingon ako sa nagsalita, Rexel was looking at me curiously. Our meeting just finished and we're about to go back. I was quiet the whole meeting and just listening to all of their strategic debates, Yada emphasizing efficiency while Rexel wanting to take into consideration the safety of our team as we embark on a journey with his highness. Eventually they finally reached a compromise, but more than the immediate aspect of logistics, I was concerned with something more nebulous. The fact that this little redhead will set afoot the imperial capital.

I nodded at his out of the blue question and continued walking towards our shared dormitory. From my peripheral vision I could still see his eyes remaining to gaze at me with quiet contemplation as if he's not convinced of my response. Tumigil ako sa paglalakad at lumingon sa kaniya, "What?" dahilan para matigilan rin siya, "It's just you don't seem fine since yesterday," tumaas ng bahagya ang kilay ko.

"Even if I am bothered, what is it to you?" He gaped for a moment as if about to say something but decided to close his mouth again in a thin line, "Well, you seemed bothered, and I'll be your partner for this investigation, so I guess it is something to me," he replied after which he cleared his throat and walked faster.

I stood there for a few good seconds before really taking in what he said. What the hell's wrong with me? I suddenly felt guilty because I know it was wrong of me to snap at him like that when he's only concerned about me. I pressed the points in between my eyes and shook my head, but the moment I closed my eyes, I can't help but recall a vivid image of our lips crashing against each other. What happened in the forbidden forest should stay there, I keep telling myself that but every time he looks at me with his soulful eyes and concerned expression, I can't help but feel defensive about it.

"Look at her, she's such a freak. Her father's dead and she's not even shedding a tear."

Mother did say that we clairvoyants are the ones who can see clearly but are often the ones most in denial of our own truths, because we know how painful it is to be the ones to bear the weight of truth. The truth is I can't stand allowing myself to do what I want when I already know how this end.

We clairvoyants are already regarded as freaks in our ways, but I was the most freakish one, so to speak. Amongst all the current members of infinitus, I was the oldest one admitted at the tender age of three suns because I predicted my own father's death, "Mama is daddy not going to come home?" He was preparing to depart, and I saw a vision of his crew crashing. My mother looked down to me confused as I grabbed a fistful of her gown tightly, "He's gonna save Uncle Mordor from drowning and he's going to live under the sea forever. I don't think he's not gonna come home," mother's color drained and she hugged me immediately. She lifted me up in her arms and went to my father.

"Fernando, please don't go."

"Darling, the King needs me. I am summoned by his highness."

"But–" Father gave mother a knowing gaze, a simple nod as if that should be enough to comfort her, "Whatever fate awaits me, shall pass. It is okay, darling. I'll be alright." Mother caressed the side of his face and father hugged us both, me feeling the warmth of their embrace as I leaned onto my father's shoulders, the image of a crashing ship very much clear in my head.

I look back on that memory and I always knew what was about to happen, maybe that was why I became a freak to everyone else's eyes. I didn't cry during his funeral because my grieving started the moment he departed our doors, "I love you, father." He looked back to us and smiled softly before mounting the carriage.

And now as I look at her curly red hair dancing with the wind as she painfully attempts to ride the horse, a familiar vision comes to mind, "It's okay, Jenni... just tell us what you saw," I opened my eyes and took in the image of all the hovering elders in front of me. The lords and ladies from the council all eagerly awaiting my response, "Destruction mother... the Imperial Capital in ruins and she's in the middle of it all," was all I could say before losing consciousness.