Chapter 28

Mirakov

After agreeing with the headmaster's offer for 'extracurricular' activities, I went back to class but no professors came today, "Free cut daw!" Anunsyo ni Veronica sa buong klase at agad na tumabi sa akin, "Where have you been? Hindi na kita nakita after ng debriefing ah?"

I want to tell her but I'm not really sure I'm at liberty to share any information regarding the investigation, "Before you go, I'd like you to keep this information to yourself. This investigation is a covert one." He warned me before leaving his office earlier so I just shrugged and changed the subject, "I still haven't forgiven you for betting on me like that!" Ani ko dahil sa tinakasan niya ako kanina. She bit her lower lip and batted her eyelashes at me, "Kahit magpa-awa ka pa."

"Sorry na... Why don't you come with me, pupunta ako sa dorm nila Katrina. We'll do pampering sessions like foot spa and facial care and I'll be of service to you in that way para makabawi?" tukoy niya sa mga nakilala kanina habang nakapila kami sa waiting area, "Miss congeniality goes to you really, but no thanks," palakpak ko sa kanya sa pekeng paraan pero umiling ako, "I'll do some reading on the literature of Mirkovia to catch up on our classes. Baka matawag na naman ako sa recitation ni Sir Edilloran at mapagalitan kapag hindi naka-sagot."

"Oh, right! Well, good luck with catching up on readings. Meet you at the cafeteria for dinner?" Before I could ask what time she'll eat, she was out of the room and was squealing with her new found buddies who were waiting for her in the hallways.

I was expecting to see Lady Arlene but the familiar desk where she used to be seated was empty. Nagtaka naman ako dahil madalang siyang mawala sa librarian's desk kaya nag-ikot ikot na lang muna ako sa malawak na espasyo ng mga naka-hilerang estante ng mga libro. Inisa-isa kong tignan ang mga shelf dahil wala akong mapagtatanungan kung nasaang shelf ang kailangan kong libro, at doon ko napansin ang isang golden plaque sa pinaka-taas nito, it was similar to the plaque that was in the stone bridge, but instead of a quote or something there was a label on what specific genre the book in the shelves were. I moved from one shelf to another and when I found the plaque labeled as the Mirkovian Empire, Post-Empyrean War Literature Section, I decided to scan the books lined in each layer of the shelf. Sobrang haba ng shelf at madilim sa kabilang dulo ng sections na ito kaya nagtaka ako nang tila may kumikinang sa maliit na espasyo sa pagitan ng mga libro. Yumuko ako ng konti upang silipin ng mabuti iyon at nakita ko ang isang pamilyar na ulo. He was holding a book with one hand while his other hand was held out, a ball of what seemed like mini sun was floating on top of his palm as if it was his own portable handheld sunlight. How fucking cool is that, and here I am with an ability to make people stop, tss.

"Done checking me out?" Umangat ang ulo niya mula sa binabasa at nagtama ang mata namin pareho dahilan para magulat ako at mapa-atras. Unfortunately, tumama ang bunbunan ng ulo ko sa ilalim ng layer ng shelf nang akma akong aayos mula sa pagkaka-yuko, "Fuck."

"Is that an appropriate language for a Lady?" He said with a cold voice, as his body appeared from the side of the shelf. His mini sun was gone now so it was even darker in that shelf's corner, but his golden hair was so striking I could not mistake him despite the shadows hiding his features, "You!" Kumunot siya sa paratang ko na tila ba hindi niya inaasahan na ganoon ang magiging reaksyon ko sa kanya, "Pagkatapos mo akong muntik nang matapakan sa field kahapon, hindi ka man lang nag-sorry!" But instead of actually saying sorry, he only tilted his head as if I'm some sort of a weird anomaly he could not fathom, "Why would I apologize to you?" I was speechless.

He looked at me –really looked at me, in a domineering way and took a step forward, "I could get you thrown in the dungeon for even looking at me," he stated –not in a threatening way, but rather in a matter of factly way, and for a moment I was stunned because his aura screams power, and the golden glow appearing behind his back reminded me of the way the golden barrier dome glowed that the knights used in the clearing, only his aura was brighter and quintessential.