Chapter 41

Aidan

"Father," was all I could blurt out before taking a formal bow. I saw Mirakov from my peripheral vision, clueless as she looked at me and my father back and forth. And then realization crept in her eyes before she clumsily curtsied at him.

"And who is this young lady?"

"How did you know we're here?" He scoffed at my question as if it's an utter insult of his authority, "I am the Emperor, I know what goes in and out of my Imperial City," he replied in a matter of factly way. I knew that Father would hear about us coming here but I thought that by the time he's known, we'll be out of here and back at the tavern. I shook my head, troubled about being caught in this manner.

"I know your business here is related to the Academy, and that I have no jurisdiction over the matter so I won't ask why you and your lady friend had to be in the main headquarters of defense but I need you to come back with me at the palace," he said which prompted me to open my mouth, however, he cut me off before I could even say something, "Your mother has been nagging me of your whereabouts."

I heaved a deep sigh and nodded at my father, "Your lady friend could come, too."

Mirakov's eyes widened, probably unable to believe she'll be setting foot in the actual Imperial Palace. I simply smirked at her and motioned my head for her to follow me.

Father's golden carriage and entourage of a hundred imperial knights lined below the step stones of the Centrium, and every person in the market bowed their heads and held their curtsy as we descended. Mirakov was just below us and I could see her in awe of everything which caused her to be distracted and almost fell down, fortunately, I was able to hold her waist and prompted her up again. People immediately gossiped softly from the corner of my eyes, "Who's that girl beside the Crowned Prince?"

"Maybe his fianceé?"

"No, the Crowned Princess is from the Land of Devonshire right? She can't have been a redhead," one said, "The Santelicis clan are known for their violet hair not red."

"Maybe his cousin? She's a fire wielder, right?"

"No... The Minister of War has only two daughters right? I've seen them both, she's not them."

"Who is she then?" Before more murmurs came to pass, Mirakov and I got in my father's carriage and left the place. I could see her fidgeting as if uncomfortable with the silence, and she couldn't look towards my father who was scrutinizing her with his staring.

"It's rude to stare, Father." Father cleared his throat and pretended to be innocent, "I am merely curious, you never answered my query of who's this lady friend." I opened my mouth but then closed it upon realizing he's right.

"Mirakov Alvarez, your highness." Mirakov's soft voice spoke beside me which caused my father's eyes to widen a fraction and his stoic aura to falter a bit, "The earthling with affinity of a seer. Is this correct?"

"The council had reported to you already?" He scoffed at me again, "Of course, they're my council after all. I may have no jurisdiction over General Alejandro's way of running the school, but my council can balance that."

"So, you're the one who sent them."

"Yes, but only to see if that wicked of a General's still fit to run the school and not running amok with his senility," he said with mockery, "letting an earthling into the realm, tsk tsk tsk." He shook his head in disappointment. I could feel Mirakov slowly retreating in her seat and her shoulders dropped in embarrassment, "But she's a cosmo gerente, after all. That means the Headmaster made the right decision." Father looked at me hard, as if I just said something worthy of treason but he knew I was right. I just don't want his utter dislike of the Headmaster to cause hurt for other people, "Mirakov's ability is rare which means her being in our realm is an asset to us."