Chapter 16

MID - ASSESSMENT PART 1

Even before the sun rises, all the fields and practice area of Academia Mirkovia is packed with students that are diligently training themselves for the last two days in preparation for this most awaited event.

The first day of the Mid-Assessment Week entails an opening program and a torch lighting ceremony that was held in the South Wing open field. On the backdrop of the forbidden forest stood a temporary platform and torch and torcheres around the whole place to light it up. Draperies of different colors also hung around the place. On the east side of the open field stood eight different flagpoles raising eight different colored flags with symbols corresponding to each Land; blue is for the land of water, a deep red orange for the land of fire, an ombre of green to brown hues for the land of earth, pale yellow for the Winchester, violet is for the land of the deceivers, plain white signifies the land of the Healers, the gold for the land of the clairvoyants, and finally, the flag of unification whereas a white Centennial Flower enclosed in two battle swords forming an X mark is intricately woven in a golden tapestry. It was the flag of Mirkovian Empire itself.

Headmaster along with the currently seven Infinitus ranking students and some high ranking academy officials stood in front of the temporary elevated platform that serves as a stage which was decorated with draperies and geometric patterns and adorned with other embellishments usually seen in occasions such as banderitas.

"Today marks the opening of the annual Mid Assessment Week. A ceremony that has been passed down to us for centuries that aims to measure the strength and abilities of our students, those who hold the future of our fatherland. May all the battle commencing henceforth be done with honor and pride, with bravery and skills, but most importantly with camaraderie and honesty. To all the students, goodluck. Long live Mirkovia!" The headmaster held his hands against his chest the way that the students greeted him at that auditorium the other day and the student's chanted afterwards, "Long, long Live Mirkovia! Long, long Live Mirkovia! Long, long live Mirkovia!

As the students of Mirkovia chants the mantra of the fatherland, Headmaster took the torch held by the leader of the student's council; Jorgette Elleighn Santelicis, Lady of Devonshire. Headmaster then went to the bunch of woods and lit it up using the torch creating a bonfire. After the bonfire was lit, the students went wild and cheered louder. Whilst, Mirakov stood among the sea of those students awestruck at the ceremony that just preceded. After the Headmaster officially opened the ceremony, Lady Jorgette stood in the left most corner of the stage and announced the sequence of the events and programs.

"Kaló Apógevma, Mirkovians." She said and the student's responded well to their leader in courtesy, "Kaló tó apó evma epísís, Lady Jorgette."

"After the Bonfire ceremony, the first official battle will ensue. You are paired with another based on your rankings in the previous year's final assessment on a one on one duel with your designated partner. There will be two parts of the duel; Initial and final battle, respectively. You also are to be graded according to certain criteria, but mostly the winner will be the one who wins the final battle. And only the winners of the final battle will be the ones who are eligible to join the final part of the Mid Assessment which is the Survival of the Eight. Amongst everyone of the students who entered the part only eight people can survive and therefore will be declared winners," Lady Jorgette explained and every single cosmo gerentes are intently listening to her every word, "As per the protocol, the Infinitus and knights rank will not be joining the one on one duels and shall immediately proceed to the Survival of the Eight," she added and many lower rankers sighed in relief. Atleast, two of the strongest ranks will not be fighting the one on one duel. This means a greater chance at joining the Survival of the Eight, "Your battle schedules will be posted accordingly but you will not know who you are fighting with, at least not until the duel," Lady Jorgette added that made everyone groan for it will surely put them at a disadvantage because of the element of surprise. If they know who they will be fighting in advance, they can prepare for it and work on their skills, however, to maintain fairness the rules are rigid, "Also, the proctors and duel masters will be very strict with rules and amongst it all, no cheating and no killing. You either make your enemy wave the white flag of defeat or beat until they can no longer fight but they must certainly be alive," Lady Jorgette cleared, "You are allowed to do whatever you want for the whole week except go outside the premises of the field. Anyone who breaks any rule will be punished accordingly. Breaking of the final law will be expelled. That is all," Lady Jorgette concluded and then everyone clapped and cheered again excited and surely looking forward to commencing activities. Everyone except one, Mirakov.