Chapter 15 - My Happiest Future

Corbett's POV

Entering my dorm, my heart seems to hurt. I already miss him.

"How was your night?" Anne asks, grinning from her bed.

"Truthfully... wonderful." I smile over to my roommate.

"Imelda told me what Garreth was planning before you guys left. Was it as romantic and magical as I imagined?"

I nod my head, moving to her bed and sitting beside her. "It was beautiful, candles everywhere, music. OH and the food was incredible!"

"Soooo you basically had a date with him, did it help you understand your feelings any more?"

"I found myself wishing the evening wouldn't end." I state factually as I recall back all the emotions and thoughts I had from the evening.

"Sounds to me like your feelings are obvious then."

I flash her a confused look. "Nothing about these feelings are 'obvious!'"

"You are attracted to him, he's your best friend, you went on a date that you wish wouldn't end...I mean, come on Bett! You are clearly into him! It might not be love yet, but you are romantically interested in him!"

"Ughhh I hate not understanding what I am feeling!!!"

"Okay, let's think about it this way then...Close your eyes for me."

"Why?" I ask hesitantly.

"Just do it!" She snaps. Closing my eyes I take a deep breath. "Now I want you to picture in your mind...You and Garreth are friends, but you've waited too long...he's moved on and is happily with someone else. You are still best friends, but he no longer loves you in a romantic way. What are you feeling?"

I clench my fist and feel my jaw tighten. "I don't know."

"Yes you do."

"No I don't!" Snap harshly. "I don't want to picture that!"

She lets out a sigh. "Fine, let's move on then. Now I want you to picture the future. Not Garreths future. Yours. Imagine the happiest future you can for YOU, what do you see?"

Letting my mind wander I start speaking my thoughts out loud. "My happiest future... I'm no longer a Gaunt... I have a large library with hundreds of books..."

"Where do you live?"

"In the country, farther away from the noise of others..."

"Describe the home."

"It's simple, not very fancy, but there's a large front porch with a swing that we can curl up on and read."

"Whose we? Who lives there with you?"

"My daughter... she's like Mell, sweet, loving, she's never felt the pain I have."

"Who else?"

"Her father."

"Who is it?"

I stay silent...

...Garreth.

My mind flashes to a fantasy of Garreth and I curled up with a small redheaded child between us on our porch swing. We're smiling and laughing as we read together.

My happiest future... it's with him...

I cannot picture it with anyone else... it's him.

... it's him!

It's always been him! I feel a heat in my chest start to envelop me.

I love him.