Chapter 21 - Horklump

Ominis' POV

"Who is Bett?" His words ring in my ears as I fight the tears.

I can't believe this happened... how... how could I have let this happen?!

"Ominis, what's wrong?"

Focusing my mind, I release Garreth from my grasp. I need to talk to the others.

"I apologize Garreth. It seems I am not myself today. Excuse me."

Leaving the great hall quickly, I make my way back to find the twins.

"Where did you run off to in such a hurry? Missing Poppy already?" Sebastian teases.

"We have a problem." I keep my tone cold and serious. "Write to everyone in our group except for Garreth and tell them to meet us in the DADA tower."

"Why? What's going on?" Anne asks, concern seeping through her voice.

"I'll explain there, but we will be showing everyone the Undercroft. We need somewhere private. Please write to them now. I will meet you all there."

With Poppy staying close to me, I pace at the bottom of the steps near the DADA classroom waiting for the others. Taking the quiet moment, I once again re-read the letter I received last night.

Dear Ominis,

I will not be returning to Hogwarts. Our family has made it clear that a Parselmouth must remain close to them. They believe that like the Scriptorium you entered, they will need someone to speak parseltongue in order to access other undiscovered areas that Salazar left behind.

If I refuse, they have threatened those closest to us. However, with my acceptance of their terms, they agreed to fully leave you alone. You will be completely free from the Gaunts. You will finally be able to have the life you've dreamed of.

When explaining the situation to the Weasley household, Mr. Gabriel was the most understanding. He knows how dangerous our family is. Garreth however, was refusing to accept the situation. Mr. Gabriel informed me that while he will try to convince Garreth to move on, he is prepared to cast the Memory Charm on him to keep him safe.

I am unsure of the outcome, but if Garreths memories of me have been erased, then I ask you to respect Mr. Gabriels decision. I would also like to request that you do everything in your power to ensure Garreth is kept safe and encourage him to find happiness.

This is the last letter I will send you. Father confirmed that any contact with you or our friends moving forward will result in consequences against all of you. I cannot risk any of you getting hurt.

I will miss you, Ominis. I wish you all the blessings the world can offer.

All my love,

Corbett Gaunt

"Ominis! What's going on?" Imelda is the first to arrive and pull me from the letter.

"Thank you for coming quickly."

Within minutes the others are gathered and we enter the Undercroft. Amit, Natty, and Imelda enter for the first time. As expected their initial reaction is excitement, but I cannot take a moment to appreciate their joy as my mind races with concern.

Feeling Poppys soft hand slide into mine, my heart immediately starts to slow down. While still racing, at least I don't feel like I'm about to have a heart attack.

Letting everyone have a look around for a couple minutes, I draw everyone's attention towards me. As Poppy was with me when the letter arrived, she stays by my side, helping me get the words out.