vingt-cinq

[hyunjin pov]

it was a cold, winters morning.

today was also the day chris was returning from his job trip to france, and he was going to visit me and felix for the first time in this new year.

we can't tell him about... us...

i was facing the slightly opened window, as my eyes fluttered open slightly, a draft of freezing air hitting my face.

i sat up slowly to see felix at my side, giving me as hard stare.

it wasn't a stare of admiration, or love.

it was a stare of fear.

i spoke up hesitantly, "w-what...? why are you looking at me like that...?

the freckled blonde just had this look of complete horror on his face once he had seen me awake, glaring back at me.

i was confused on why he wasn't replying.

"...is there something on my face?..." i asked.

he just responded with a slow, nervous nod.

i gulped, reaching for my phone. i wasn't sure of what felix was so worried about, but it made me concerned also.

i clicked onto the camera app, my face appearing on the phone screen.

there was nothing on my face, but it was instead what was under my face which was the concerning part.

my neck. it was covered in hickeys.

my eyes widened as i slowly turned my head back towards felix, who now had this extreme look of guilt on his face.

if anyone saw this, they would know it was felix, i don't hang out with anyone other than him. i would be reported. then i would be fired.

"...s-sorry." he spoke up.

"you don't have to apologise, i'm sure i can cover it up, somehow..." i responded.

i looked around, panicking slightly.

"do you have any foundation i could put on my neck?" i asked.

"hyunjin... i don't go anywhere other than around this hospital, what would i need makeup for? impressing dr. han?..." he replied.

i frowned, "forget it, i can probably just get something to cover it up..."

i had searched the hospital room for an entire hour before i finally found an old dusty scarf the was stuffed under a shelf. it looked like it had been there for years, and it most likely had been. since that was there since before felix got admitted into hospital.

i wrapped it around my neck, and thankfully it did the job. it was disgusting, but if it worked and it saved me from losing my job, then i wasn't going to complain.

i made my way downstairs to the hospital lobby to look for chris.

i walked past the reception, hearing someone burst out into laughter.

my head spun to my right, the eruption of giggles coming from the receptionist, mr. seo, "OH- NURSE HWANG! WHAT ARE YOU WEARING AROUND YOUR N-NECK!- BAHSHEHEBH!"

i gave the receptionist a death glare before the short australian jogged up to me.

"HYUNJINNN!" he called.

"CHRISSSS!" i called back.

he ran into my arms as i hugged him tightly. he pat my back as he let go, "hyunjin, man. i've missed you so much! how's everything been?? how's felix-" he paused when his eyes travelled down to my neck.

"i...uh.... i like your scarf! it's definitely, how should i say it... unique...?" he had a grossed out look on his face.

i ignored his comment, "felix has been getting a little worse, but it's nothing too drastic."

we began to walk up the stairs together.

chris frowned, "oh, i see. well is there any sign of recovery?"

"i..." i paused, "i don't really know... it's dr. han that monitors all that stuff..."

"ah, alright." the dimpled man responded.

he smiled, "i can't wait to see him! i was so worried being on the other side of the world that felix wouldn't be okay, but then i remembered, you're his nurse! of course he'll be fine!" he chuckled as he placed his hand on my shoulder.

there he was, trying to make me feel pressure about felix's situation again...

it felt like it was intentional at this point.

usually, i'd let out an awkward laugh, but this time, i didn't.

i felt my neutral expression turn into a sadder one.

thankfully, chris didn't notice it, so we just continued walking down the corridor and towards felix's room.

as i opened the door, the wolf-like man immediately ran inside and into felix's arms.

i watched the pair reunite closely, realising that felix wasn't hugging him back.

i looked at the duck's arms, seeing that they were moving up slightly, but not enough to become placed around chris' waist.

i then moved my gaze towards the duck's face, he looked stressed.

as if he didn't want chris to realise that he was too weak to hug him properly.

i quickly got up and discreetly moved felix's arms around chris, and thankfully, he didn't notice.

the blonde looked at me with an expression of gratitude.

but the question was, why didn't felix want chris to know about his poor state? i mean, surely he was going to find out soon. right?

once the wolf had finished hugging his little brother he sat down and began to tell us both about his trip.

he showed us both pictures of him in front of the eiffel tower, the notre dame, and the arc de triomphe. which were all famous landmarks of france.

it seemed like he really enjoyed his time there, which made us both feel at ease.

i felt my scarf become slightly lose, so i crept into the bathroom, neither of the aussies noticing.

i shut the door quietly and took off my scarf. the hickeys were even brighter than before.

it surprised me how a boy so weak and unwell was able to give me kisses that powerful.

i looked at the love bites on my throat closely, feeling them to see if they were painful or not, and that's when i heard footsteps come from the hospital room.

the footsteps became gradually louder as they got closer to the bathroom.

and then i realised,

i forgot to lock the door.

my head whipped towards the door in panic as the door handle began to turn, i shrieked as the door opened, a short man walking in.

"oh sorry hyunjin, i didn't know you were in here-" he froze.

he glared at me.

but it wasn't really me.

it was my neck, the neck that was covered in hickeys.

the hickeys that his younger cousin, my own patient, gave to me.