vingt-neuf

[hyunjin pov]

"be my boyfriend, please"

a wave of butterflied flowed through my body the minute felix said those words.

those butterflies soon evolved into surging anxiety.

my eyes widened, as i remembered what chris had said to me in the bathroom.

"if you get fired for having a romantic relationship with your patient then felix will die alone."

i couldn't break the promise i made to him.

"hyunjin..." the freckled australian spoke up, "please answer me..."

as much as i wanted to give in, chris was right.

but, something was making me want to accept his offer.

"hyunjin, this is my last wish before i die, you can't say no!"

it was like he had read my mind.

felix knew the condition he was in, and he knew what he wanted.

"i..." i hesitated for a moment, rethinking my actions, "i don't know..."

"okay then..." the duck moved his arm towards me. he placed his hand on the side of my face , cupping my cheek and pulling me closer towards him.

"are you having second thoughts about me?" he asked.

i gulped, "of course not, i just..."

"you just...?"

"i just don't think we can..."

he sighed, but then smiled.

suddenly, he kissed me, but i didn't kiss back.

realising, he slowly moved his face away from mine, giving me direct eye contact.

"...you should kiss someone back when they kiss you..." felix muttered.

"keep your voice down, please..." i replied in a whisper.

"oh... i see what this is about now." he spoke quietly, "you're scared of people finding out you're dating your patient, isn't that right?"

i froze.

i didn't want felix to think i was ashamed of him or anything, because i wasn't. the only thing that was on my mind was what chris had said.

i slowly nodded in response to his statement.

"then... we won't let anyone find out..." he whispered.

i was still hesitant to accept, but i desperately wanted to.

"hyunjin, if you don't accept my offer, i'll die never experiencing having a boyfriend. it's the only think i desire, you're the only person i want right now." the younger spoke with sincerity.

i couldn't refuse, i just couldn't.

"i'll be your boyfriend, felix. i'll buy you things and i'll treat you right, i'll show you what it's like to have a loving partner who's there for you always, and i'll stay by your side until the very end. i don't care anymore about what happens. i like you too much to say no, and i've liked you for too long to just let this opportunity slide. i swear, i'll be the best boyfriend anyone could ever have."

the room was silent, we were both processing what i had just said.

i was in disbelief myself.

but at the same time, we were admiring each other.

i wrapped my arms around felix's waist and pulled him into me, digging my head into the crook of his neck.

neither of us said anything, just feeling comfortable in each other's embrace.