trente-quatre

[hyunjin pov]

it was now 7am the next day. dr. han invited me to come to his office for a "chat". but i knew it wasn't a chat, it was obviously something much more serious.

regarding me and felix.

i looked at the boy, fast asleep in his bed.

i didn't want to wake him up, so i just watched him peacefully snooze, as i held his hand tightly.

once it was time for the "chat", i stood up and brushed my hand along felix's soft arm, feeling how smooth it was.

the frecked blonde realised a small groan once i had taken my arm away.

"go back to sleep felix, i'll be right back, okay?" i whispered as i backed away, towards the door.

"sleep tight." i added.

however, little did felix know, he should've cherished that sentence.

but that's a story for another time, i won't get into it right now.

[dr. han]

there was a knocking sound at the door, which i guessed was nurse hwang.

i sat up in my chair attentively, "come in."

hesitantly, the blue-haired man slowly walked into the room, shutting the door behind him.

"...you wanted to talk, doctor?..." he spoke up.

"yes, that's right. please take a seat." i replied.

for a moment, the room went completely silent, and the aroma of guilt stung the air.

"...i'm pretty sure you know why you're here, am i correct nurse hwang?"

"...yes doctor."

"then, i only have one question..."

"yes..?"

i frowned, "why did you do this to yourself?"

the nurse just sat there confused, "what do you mean...?"

"hyunjin... you were kissing your patient... do you know how bad that is?!?!"

"it's n-not my fault!" he raised his voice slightly.

"is this like... was it just a one time thing or- how long has this been going on between you two?" i asked.

nurse hwang frowned, "...i don't even remember, dr. han."

i sighed, "what is felix to you?"

the ferret didn't want to answer, and it was evident through the way he was nervously playing with his fingers.

"i- uh-" "answer me honestly." i cut him off.

after a few seconds, the boy finally answered hesitantly, "he's... he's my boyfriend... we're dating, we have been for two weeks. and i'm... and i'm proud of it!"

instead of responding, i felt my head sink into my hands.

i didn't know what to say or feel.

instead, i just stood up from my chair and made direct eye contact with the blue-haired male, "hyunjin... do you even understand how much you have done for felix? how much happier he's gotten? how much his life has changed since you arrived? do you even know how much you mean to him?!?! and to just throw it all away and disregard all of it just to fulfil your own fantasies???"

"to 'fulfil my own fantasies'? what is that supposed to even mean? felix likes me just as much as i like him! why should i get the blame that fate put us together!" he shouted.

i just glared down at the nurse in pity.

"nurse hwang... you leave me no option..." i muttered, "it's in deep regret that i say this but...

...i'm going to have to let you go."

suddenly, he leaped up from his chair, "YOU TELL ME HOW MUCH OF A POSITIVE IMPACT I HAD FELIX AND THEN YOU JUST FIRE ME?!?!"

"you know damn well having a romantic relationship with your patient is completely forbidden!" i snapped back.

"YOU CAN'T DO THIS JISUNG- YOU REALLY CAN'T!" he went from shouting to almost begging.

i scoffed, "why not hyunjin? why not? tell me why i can't just get rid of you right now!"

"BECAUSE FELIX WILL DIE WITH NOBODY
BY HIS SIDE, HE'LL LIVE A LONELY REST OF HIS LIFE!" hyunjin screamed.

as if it had echo'd around the room, what the nurse had just said was circling around in my head.

of course i didn't want to get rid of hyunjin, he's the perfect nurse.

but it's just protocol.

"then... you should've thought about that earlier..." i muttered, causing him to release a loud gasp.

"WHA- HOW COULD YOU?! YOU'RE A MONSTER!" he screamed.

"get out."

"PLEASE JISUNG, PLEASE!"

"get out, nurse hwang."

"I'LL LOSE EVERYTHING IF YOU FIRE ME!"

"exit this hospital right now!"

"I'LL BE KICKED OUT OF NURSING SCHOOL, I'LL HAVE NO MONEY, I'LL BECOME HOMELESS, I'LL LOSE FELIX!"

"SECURITY!" i shouted.

suddenly, 3 men in police uniform ran towards hyunjin and tackled him to the ground.

"WAIT- NO!" he squealed as his face smacked into the floor, causing his noise to bleed and his lip to become busted.

although, he kept resisting, he kept fighting for what he wanted. for what he needed so desperately.

"i'm so sorry, hyunjin. i really am." i whispered quietly while the men dragged him out of the hospital, muffled screams coming from the boy.