002 - Weekend Mess

It was Saturday morning at the break of dawn as the young teen female stood in the middle of the small dojo off the side of her house. She stretched her limbs left and right before going off to a running start and performing gymnastic flips. Feeling the air move as she flipped felt relieving until she missed her footing and fell onto her back. A loud thump sounded within the room, followed by a grunt and slapping of the tatami floor. Ayame lay on the floor as she stared at the ceiling and huffed.

"I must be... getting rusty. If I were still in Italy, instructor Lal would hit me." Seeing the image in her head of her Italian instructor made her shudder at the sheer criticism and atmosphere they had emitted. She thought back to the times she trained under her instructor and the times she fought against her in combat. "Now when I think about it, Lal... sucked at encouraging me at everything."

The female continued to lie on the floor as she stared mindlessly, reminiscing the harsh lessons from her instructor. She could imagine hearing her instructor yelling at her for slacking off and attacking her to force her off her backside. Such an obnoxious instructor she was.

"How are you up earlier than your old man, Ayame?" The female raven rolled onto her stomach, eventually seeing her father yawning as he stood by the doorframe. The older male ruffled his short black hair before stretching his limbs and hearing a crackle among the action. "I couldn't sleep too well, Dad. Just had to stretch for a bit."

The male wiped off a sleepy tear and squatted, looking down at his sprawled-out daughter on the tatami flooring. "Seeing how you are in this room, I don't see why I shouldn't join you and give you a friendly sparring match. How about that?" The female eventually got up, dusting her exercise clothes, and donned a slight frown. "Dad... You know I'm no match for you. Your Kendo skills are just too good. I cannot match that."

Her father laughed as he got up and turned toward the sword holders to remove the two Kendo shinai. "Your skills are much different from mine now, Ayame... especially since you were under Lal Mirch's tutelage for combat practice during our time in Italy." He chucked one of the bamboo swords to his daughter and took his stance, grinning. "It has been some time since we have last sparred. Come and show me what has changed since we last fought."

The girl caught the bamboo sword and adjusted her grip on the hilt as she took her stance and mimicked her father's movements. "I'm telling you, Dad. I'm not able to land a hit on you." He sighed, lazily crossed his arms, and sighed disappointedly.

"Ayame... You should have more confidence in yourself when it comes to this. I have always believed you have potential. Didn't Lal Mirch lecture you about something like this?" Her brows knitted together tightly as she lunged toward him with the bamboo sword in front. "I don't...wish to be reminded... of her teachings...!" Despite her angry intent to attack her father, she could not land a single hit on him.

"I thought I told you not to have your emotions get the better of you, my poor child." The more her emotions internally flared up, the more her father continued parrying her swings and recognized the signs of her anger. "A~ya~me..." Her father mumbled as he clicked his tongue whenever she missed her opportune attacks.

"What?!" The young female yelled as she side-stepped away from her father's attack. "You're getting sloppy..." Her brows knitted tightly as her nerves tensed up, causing her to slip as she attempted to evade her father's attack and fell upon her back. "...as expected."

He sighed, placing the sword on the floor, and sat next to his daughter as she slammed her hand onto the ground and covered her face. "Something is bothering you. You would not lose your balance this easily. What's going on, my child?"

The poor child stayed silent as the father attempted to read her. "What was the true reason why we went to Italy? It wasn't just for a temporary job transfer, right?" A relieved sigh and a chuckle escaped the male as soon he heard the question.