011 - Kokuyo: Wounded Companion

Ayame ran back to the school grounds as soon as it hit 9:30 a.m. She saw Yamamoto just leave the buildings and stop at his side, breathing a bit heavily. "Oh, Yukimura! Heyo!" The female lightly greeted the male, questioning why he was leaving the school vicinity. "There weren't many people in the class. If there's not much to learn, I may as well go home. The teachers let us out early as half-day anyways so what a coincidence." The male shrugged as he adjusted the baseball bat holder on his shoulder.

"What happened to those glasses that you wear?" She tilted her head a bit, questioning what he meant by that. As she reached to fix the supposed glasses, she realized it was no longer on her face. Ayame remembered that she had taken them off when she was annoyed with her father through the phone call. She quickly shielded her eyes and her flushed face from embarrassment.

"D-Don't look... at me..." She stuttered as her voice trailed off. Ever since she was young, she never liked people staring at her bare face. After that incident, she always wore slightly tinted glasses to avoid the immense stares at her slightly glowing silver eyes. She hated how her eyes were completely different from her parents—that her eyes were not the same dark brown eyes as theirs.

"Eh? What are you talking about? You look just fine without it!" He grinned as he began to walk forward. His hands were folded behind his head as the female swallowed her embarrassment and caught up to his walking pace. "... Really, Yamamoto-kun? Do you mean that?" He hummed approvingly as his response. "Would I lie to you, Yukimura? We've been friends since grade school!" The female let out a fake cough as she covered her now-tinted red face.

"Oh right," he turned to look at her. "Why weren't you in your class? I thought you would be more of the studious type of person." She looked forward, fiddling with the hem of her school uniform. "One thing led to another so... I will need to head home shortly. Oh, also... Dad mentioned to me to tell you that he will need to postpone their usual weekend sparring." The raven partially lied; it was her way to fill the silence and for herself to occupy her mind.

"Is that so? I'll be sure to tell him that when I return home." Silence fell between the two of them as they walked. It was the male that decided to break the soundless barrier. "How are things with the Student Council?"

The female lightly hummed as she thought about it. "I'm no longer the secretary, to say the least." He let out an audible surprised noise as he glanced at her momentarily. "Really? I thought you were good at that position. You helped out a lot of the clubs." Ayame let out a sigh. "It took too much of my time; my parents have been asking for me to help them as of recently."

"Uncle Shin?" She gave him an approved hum as the two walked. "I did not expect that your dad would need any help." The female raven could only shrug as a response. "I didn't expect it either, but what's done is done." Her phone vibrated, causing her to take it out of her pocket to check.

Ayame,

Take a look around the Shopping District. Your Mom and I just got news about something going on over there. Unfortunately, we cannot step away right now. Can you check it out for us? Let us know any information as soon as you can. Be at utmost care, my daughter.

She frowned at the message. "Speaking of... He messaged me... Told me to get some groceries at the market." She quickly closed her phone and pocketed it away. How long has it been since she started to lie to him? She didn't like lying as it left a bad taste in her mouth... and it still did leave a bad taste.

"I'll join you since baseball club has been canceled today," the male mentioned. "I-It's okay though, Yamamoto-kun. The groceries he told me to get aren't that heavy. You don't have to come along for a chore." The female's grip tightened on her school bag. "You should head home; I'll be okay." However, the male didn't budge. "Nope, I'm joining. It'll be nice to visit your place once in a while and have a chat about what Uncle Shin's been up to. I heard he has lots of stories to tell." He grinned at her as he stuffed his hands into his pockets.