A figure in the corner - Crimeboys

This was an essay I had to write for school :D Thought I'd just get something out for y'all. This was the question -

Your story must begin with the following words;
'The sounds were getting louder with each passing minutes...'
In your story, you must include
-A young person
-An element of fear

TW// blood

[Tommy's left home alone for a week while his parents are on a work outing.]

Characters: Wilbur and Tommy

---|🏳️‍🌈|---

The sounds were getting louder with each passing minutes. Boxes being thrown, glass shattering, Tommy heard them all.

"Was that a plate?" He whispered to himself.

Part of him hoped his parents had returned early, but a bigger part of him feared it was something else. He scrambled to his feet and grabbed his phone that was sitting idly on his nightstand. He turned on the flashlight and started to investigate. As he moves through the house, he starts to hear more and more noises, until he finally reaches the basement. The sudden halt to the huge crashing he heard was causing him to panic a little. He had always struggled with panic attacks, but recently he's found a way to get through them more easily. He opens the door to find a figure in the corner, boxes, fabric and blood stains all over the basement floor. Tom lets a shriek burst from his throat, before he starts to bolt back to his bedroom.

He slams his room door shut, pressing his back against it. Tom doesn't know what to do and he's too afraid to return downstairs. He listens for more sounds, chest rising and falling along with his deep breaths. When Tom starts to hear footsteps coming up the stairs, he's convinced someone has broken into the house. In his panicked state, Tom dials the first contact he sees.

"Hey, Toms."

Letting out a quick and relieved sigh when he hears the familiar voice, Tom whispers, "Will, there's someone in my house."

Will, also known as Wilbur, is Tommy's brother who moved out two years ago.

"I thought Mum and Dad won't be back until Friday?"

Tom tears up in fear, feeling a presence near him. "I know it's not them. Can you please come over?"

Will doesn't waste a second once he notices the waver in his younger brother's voice. "I'll be there in five."

Once Will arrives, he doesn't bother knocking the front door. He has had his set of keys since he moved out in case of an emergency. He unlocked the door, and got to Tommy's room. "Tom," Wilbur called, "it's me."

Tommy opened his room door and gave his elder brother a hug, burying his face into Wilbur's chest. "I missed you."

"I didn't see anyone here," Will said before Tom looked up at him with teary-eyes.

The dark circles around Tommy's eyes worried the older brother, but he knew now was no time to ask about it.

"Check the basement," Tommy cried. "Someone was in there, I saw them!"

Wilbur nodded, running a hand through Tommy's hair to calm him. They made their way to the basement sneakily. Wilbur opened the basement door before Tommy covered his mouth, petrified from what he saw.

The brunette looked back at his younger brother, saying, "there's no one here."

Tommy widened his eyes, facing Wilbur. "Do you not see it?" He yelled at the top of lungs.

Will glanced back at the basement one more time before fixing his gaze on his brother's eyes and shaking his head. A tear rolls down Tom's cheeks, knowing what's happened.

"You're hallucinating again," Will mutters and stands on his knees.

"No," Tom shouted, "I thought I got better!"

Will comforted his brother by bringing him into a hug.

"I'm so sorry, I was so scared," Tom apologized profusely to Will. "No wonder I heard glass breaking but saw no sign of it."

"It's alright, Tom. Do you want me to stay the night?"

"Yes," the younger answers desperately.

"Let's get some rest." Wilbur whispered.