Chapter 10- The Sixth Creature

Chapter Ten

‘Are you ready?’ Josh whispered

‘Of course,’ Elle said then added quietly. ‘…not.’

Eve nudged between Josh and Elle. ‘I’m so nervous I think I peed a little.’

‘If you don’t get the creature you want do you think you’ll back down in becoming a Hunter,’ Josh asked Elle but Eve answered first.

‘Yes,’ she said too loudly. ‘I’m not being a creepy skin-walker, they scare me so much. It’s a Leshy or nothing at all.’

Elle rolled her eyes. ‘I’m going through with it no matter what. A Hunter should be able to work with anything thrown at them.’

‘Spoken like a true Hunter,’ Josh grinned and Elle felt her insides go to mush. ‘I’m going to do it no matter what too.’

‘Okay everyone, time to go in,’ Robin spoke before opening up the huge double doors and entering the hall.

Elle tried not to let her jaw drop when she stepped into the room. It was massive; the ceiling must’ve been resting in the clouds. There was an arena seating around the top of the walls, hundreds and hundreds of people crowded into the seats and all peering down at the children below. They were directed towards a platform area and Elle counted eleven men on it, sitting behind a long bench. They were old and most appeared to be sporting large rimmed glasses that they continually had to be pushing up.

‘The seven students from Academy of Five Towers,’ Robin bowed deeply to the old men, loudly proclaiming their title.

The man in the middle of the group, and the oldest it looked, leaned forward and pressed his chapped lips against the microphone.

‘Thank you.’

Robin bowed once again and left, disappearing out another door. Elle watched him leave, wanting nothing more than for him to come back. She needed a safety net. The hall was way too large and there were way too many people. She felt like a turkey already plucked and cocked, placed on a nice dining table as everyone waited hungrily to tear into it.

The old man went to the microphone again. ‘We shall call out your name one at a time. You shall step forward, be given your creature and then before the council you shall make your decision to become a Hunter. If so you shall then be escorted out and taken for the liquid,’ he then cleared his throat, coughing up an absurd amount of phlegm before continuing. ‘To begin,’ he shuffled through a couple of papers.

‘Eve Lemmings.’

Eve squealed slightly, leaping forward as she looked up at the council with her large eyes.

‘You have been given the creature…um,’ he struggled to find it on the paper. ‘Leshy.’

Eve couldn’t control her excitement and practically shouted that she wished to become a hunter.

‘Okay,’ the man was slightly taken aback by her outburst. Someone came to escort Eve out and she gave a final smile to Elle before she left.

‘Next I believe is Oliver Robinson and you have been given vampire.’

Oliver nodded slowly and proclaimed his want to become a Hunter. He was taken away and the next person went up.

‘Key Guiding. You are to become a werewolf.’

He too decided to continue in the path of the Hunter.

‘Ellen Rustle.’

Elle froze, her eyes staring straight in front in anticipation of what was ahead. Silence followed, so long that Elle looked up to the council. The man with the microphone had broken away and was talking feverishly to the man beside him. Coming to a decision they scuffled back to place.