Chapter 27- A baby

Chapter Twenty Seven

They were at the north gate, the grand entrance shimmering in the early morning.

‘What are we doing here?’

‘I don’t know. I didn’t plan on bumping into the very place where the demons come from!’

They were perched on top a boulder, looking down at the gate. It was open, just like it had been on the night of the blue moon. Elle could see the white caped mountains and the clouds that looked as beautiful as the first time Elle had seen them, in complete contrast to the dead world they now stood in.

‘We need to move…’ Cassidy stopped abruptly as a figure began to emerge from the gate. It was a large demon, bigger then any of the others in the village. It looked a little like a slug, a big wobbly body that rippled as it slid forward. The most prominent feature of the demon was the sack like boils that were on its back, each as large as a soccer ball. The sacks were a cream color, large splurges of grey tainting the inside, and had a thin layer of goo encasing its exterior. There had to be at least a hundred of them on the demons back, all pilled on top one another.

‘Oh my god. What it is?’ Cassidy covered her mouth and nose as a foul smell wafted over them.

Another demon emerged from the gate, exactly like the previous one. It was followed by another and another until seven demons were trailing each other, sliding into the forest with a low hum. They slipped out of the clearing but as the last one was about to disappear one of the sacks on its back fell and rolled back towards the gate. The demon didn’t notice and soon the clearing was quiet, the foul smell leaving with it.

Cassidy hadn’t seen the fallen sack and was about to speak when Elle hushed her.

‘Stay still,’ Elle said hastily, her eyes watching the sack as it began to move. It had stopped in a crack but as Elle looked it began to rock and toss itself around. A liquid began to seep out the side, the same color as the sack itself. Again the smell came, just as something slid out of the ball.

It was a lizard shape except its eyes were perched on long stalks that swiveled in a 360-degree arc. It shivered once, shaking the creamy liquid off, before it perked up and scuttled into the undergrowth, emitting a lone cry as it went.

‘That was a demon,’ Cassidy breathed sharply. ‘I’ve never seen a baby demon before.’

‘That means those other demons were carriers. They’re bringing more,’ Elle’s heart fluttered sadly. ‘I wonder how many they have.’

‘Hundreds, thousands or even millions behind those gates. They’ll never stop coming.’

‘Are we going to die?’