Chapter 22- Parting Ways

Chapter Twenty

Cassidy began to sit in on some of Elle’s lessons with Mr. Yuko. Elle was beginning to incorporate some of her martial arts into her spells, something that Mr. Yuko came up with. She would elaborate on the hand movements to use the whole body and follow some of the actions in martial arts. He said that in time it could potentially strengthen Elle and her spells but for now she just felt a little silly doing them.

It was one of the days when Cassidy was sitting in the corner, watching them silently as they worked, when another visitor arrived. He was a pageboy and upon entering he asked for Cassidy. Mr. Yuko didn’t stop the lesson but the boy distracted Elle as he began to speak quietly to Cassidy. Elle dropped her hands as her sister’s eyes grew wide and she jumped up.

‘What is it?’ Elle forgot about her spell.

‘There’s been a breakage in the Eastern gate; the demons are overpowering the Hunters there. They say there could be hundreds coming out of the gate,’ Cassidy ran to the door as she urgently spoke, she left quickly after.

‘Wait!’ Elle called, following her sister outside and got along side her. ‘What’s going to happen?’

‘The high council has ordered reinforcements from the other gates, including ours. They’re such idiots! Don’t they understand that this is what they want, pull us out of our posts and then just attack another,’ Cassidy swore under her breath as she made her way to the meeting hall. Around them Hunter’s were emerging from buildings, all with the same worried expression as they followed instructions.

‘Will we do what the council wants?’ Elle was having trouble keeping up, Cassidy barely noticed her.

‘We have no choice. Anyway, I’m sure they have a plan as well. Everything will be all right,’ Cassidy reassured herself and Elle.

They got to the great hall but Cassidy cut Elle from going any further. ‘You can’t come in. Only certain level Hunters will know the information.’

‘But-’

‘Don’t worry. I’ll explain when I come back, just go back to Mr. Yuko and finish your training, then go back to your room with the others. Do not wander off,’ Cassidy warned, urgent to be on her way.

‘Okay, I’ll go back,’ reluctantly Elle left, going back to her training with only a half mind on her work.

-------------------

‘I’m scared.’

‘It’s not even affecting us!’ Luca raised an eyebrow at Eve.

‘Yeah but I can still be scared for the people that are!’ Eve retorted, crossing her arms angrily.

‘Eve’s the only one of us that would ever admit she’s scared, in a way that makes her the most courageous,’ Oliver pointed out to Luca.

‘I half expected this to never happen, as if the warning was some kind of training exercise. It’s worrying that the threat is real,’ Josh said.

‘What do you think will happen?’ Eve asked.

‘I think this is the beginning of an attack. It could go into a full war,’ Oliver answered.

‘We should be fighting then! It’s unfair we aren’t allowed to know what’s happening, we’re real Hunters now,’ Eve pouted.

‘Do you really want to fight? It’s best we stay out of the way, we would just get in their way and most likely die,’ Oliver said gravely.

‘It’s still not fair. They should give us the choice,’ Eve grumbled though she agreed with Oliver.

‘We’ll find out what’s happening when Cassidy and Robin come back,’ Josh said.