Chapter 19- Blue Moon

Chapter Nineteen

‘Elle, come on,’ Eve whispered in the darkness.

‘Where are we going?’ Elle sat up in bed, straining her eyes to see Eve hurriedly putting on some boots.

‘To the Gate,’ Eve answered.

‘What! We’re not allowed up there, especially not at night.’

‘Haven’t you heard the stories? The gate’s supposed to light up on a blue moon, and today’s a blue moon! The others are going and it’s the perfect time because Robin and Cassidy have gone on patrol for the night.’

‘Who decided this?’

‘Luca and Patrick found this out, but everyone’s coming. Hurry up and get changed, we’ll be late,’ Eve hurriedly put on a jacket.

‘I don’t think we should be doing this. I mean, we’ll get into heaps of trouble. What if something happened?’ Despite what she said Elle found herself getting out of bed.

‘Don’t fiddle fart around. Stop trying to be the responsible one; I know you want to go as much as anyone else. Here,’ Eve tossed her some shoes. ‘Put them on quickly.’

Elle did as Eve instruct, jumping out of her pajamas and into some warmer clothes. It was exciting to be sneaking out in the middle of the night. Even though she was scared they’d be found Elle couldn’t help a smile creep onto her face.

‘Let’s go,’ Eve left the room and Elle followed. The others were already out and waiting, shifting their weight for nerves and warmth.

‘Everyone here?’

‘Yep, you’re the last ones,’ Luca answered Eve. Elle glanced around the group, her eyes finding Josh. He put on a nervous grin and did thumbs up, shuffling over to where she stood.

‘They were wondering if you’d come,’ he said. They began walking to the mountain path, keeping as quiet as possible and looking back and forth.

‘I wouldn’t miss this,’ Elle shoved her hands in her pockets. Though it was far past winter there was still a chill hanging around, creeping right to their skin. It had been one whole week since Elle had first used her Warlock power and since then she’d improved at a rapid pace compared to those that Mr. Yuko said used to take. On the second day she’d mastered the technique of flipping an object, and even though she could only do a maximum of three spells per day she’d already tried a number of other low level conjures.

‘I didn’t particularly want to come but Luca said it would be the most amazing thing I’d ever seen, and when she starts her puppy dog eyes I can’t resist,’ Josh joked, trudging through the muddy terrain.

Elle mumbled a short reply, not knowing what to say. Just at the mention of Luca she’d felt a stab of envy. Unjustified as it was Elle couldn’t help but feel jealous at their relationship, she’d never really had anything like that.