Chapter Six

I decide to drive the backroads into town to enjoy the scenic views and take my time, slowing down as I pass the Harrison farm. The cows are huddled about lounging leisurely. I wave at them as I pass by. The Harrison's farm is big and goes on for several miles; Mrs. Harrison sells dairy products and beef from their little white farmhouse. As I pass by, I see a colorful sign that says, there's a special on heavy cream. I make a mental note to tell Mama.

The old church comes up next, and it's a big white brick building with a big bell on top; it's near the two schools, the elementary and middle school, share a parking lot and huge playground. All of us kids knew when the bells went off at noon that it was time to hustle back into the school. A fond smile washes over my face at the memories.

As I drive towards the beach, I slow down past the duplexes. Hunter was right, they're about as worn down as they can get. Shame no one ever kept 'em up. 

I can still see the three of us sitting there on the curb, Hunter, Olly and me, and a sense of melancholy washes over me.

"Popsicles!" I cheer as Hunter comes out of the house holding three icy treats.

"There's only one red one." Hunter waves it around like a prize.

"Rock, paper, scissors?'" I suggest.

"That won't work. There's three of us," Olly says with an exaggerated eye roll.

"It will, and I'll win." Hunter looks smug, and I narrow my eyes.

"Will not!" I say stubbornly. 

"Only one way to see!"

"Fine." Olly grunts. 

"Ready, on three, one, two..."

"Rock!" I declare.

"Paper!" Olly yells.

"A bomb!" Hunter makes a huge noise. "I blew up everything. I win."

"Unfair!" I scowl at Hunter. 

"That's cheating!" Olly added.

"You're just mad I outsmarted you," Hunter accuses. "Green or orange?"

"Green," Olly mutters in a defeated voice, but he still eagerly opens it when Hunter hands it over.

"Here, Kinz," Hunter hands me mine and then plops down.

"You gave me the wrong one," I say as I open the wrapper to reveal the red one.

"Nah." Hunter opens the orange one. "I won it for you." 

"Show off," Olly scoffs. "I'd have done that too."

"Yeah, right," Hunter laughs as he plops down on my other side.

"Yeah, that was a lie," Olly agrees with a laugh. "Red is the best, what can I say?" 

"Here, Olly." I hand him my popsicle. "One bite."

He takes it and hands me the green one, and we each bite the tops off of them and then swap them again.

"Summer's almost over," I say sadly.

"I know," Olly says with a sigh; he looks past me over to Hunter. "Billy and all of them will probably want you to hang with them at school."

"I don't care what that bully wants. You two are my friends, and school ain't gonna change that."