Chapter Twenty-Two

New Years Eve 2001 

**

"Kinsey, are you alright? You've hardly touched your lunch." Mama looks at me with concern shining in her hazel eyes.

"I'm fine, Mama," I lie as I pick at my plate. "Just not that hungry."

"If you want to go to that party tonight, you're going to eat lunch," Mama warns. "I know y'all are gonna be drinking, and I also know Brandi's parents ain't gonna be there."

I look up with surprise. "How?"

"Oh, I always do, young lady," she says with a smirk.

Not really, because she had no idea about the nights I was on Laine's floor and not at Brandi's house where she thought I was. I feel bad about lying to her, but there's no way she'd trust me again if she knew about all that. 

"The only reason I'm okay with you spending the night there is that Kris will be home, and she's nearby. Plus, Olly will be there to watch out for you."

Olly.... I sigh.

I get back to picking at my food and swallowing a few bites. She made a cheesy rice casserole, which is usually one of my favorites.

"Mama, can I ask you something?" I look up as she starts clearing the dishes from the table.

"Of course," she says as she sits back down, the dishes forgotten as she focuses on me.

"Have you ever betrayed a friend?"

She takes a moment to study me and then nods. "A few times, yes."

"What happened?" I ask.

"I once had to betray a friend's confidence when she was getting in trouble."

"What kind of trouble?"

"She was hanging around with a bad crowd and started doing hard drugs. I told her parents, and they sent her to her grandparents' farm for a summer. She never forgave me."

"I'm sorry," I say softly. "You did the right thing, though."

"I did and don't regret it. If any of your friends are ever in trouble like that. You come to me, okay?"

"Of course, Mama. I will, but this is something different. I'm talking about betraying a friend, much worse than that."

"Is this about Hunter?" She guesses. "He seemed upset when they left on Christmas day."

Upset? He was fine when we talked, besides being super hungover. Right?

"Merry Christmas!" I yell out as I bounce down the stairs.

"Too loud, Kinz," Hunter groans from around the corner. I find him on the couch, clutching his head.

"Sorry, you need some Aspirin?"

"Nah, I need to get home. A joint will fix me up."

I make a face and plop down next to him.

"Look, I'm really sorry about last night," Hunter says. "I didn't mean to get that drunk around you."

"Are you okay? Before my dad came out, you seemed really mad or something."

"Nah. I was just wasted and confused," he says dismissively. "That was not my place to tell you that about Olly. I'm sorry."

"It's okay. I just wish I'd known before..." I trail off.