Chapter Forty-Eight

It's nearly three am on what's now the fifth of July as Oliver and I step out of a cab onto the city sidewalk.

All the high-rise buildings and the streetlamps are pretty, lighting up the dusky sky. Only a few people are walking around this late, but I assume in a few short hours, the sidewalks and streets will be packed with people.

It was such an impulsive thing for him to ask me right after I asked for clarity. It felt like fate. But Oliver fell asleep an hour into the flight, and I started overthinking it.

"Kinsey, you, okay?" Oliver asks. He stops, as do I, and he studies me carefully.

"Not really. I don't exactly jump on planes in the middle of the night that often," I say nervously. "And if I'm being honest, I'm wondering if this is something I should've run by Hunter first."

"Why? It was a spur-of-the-moment thing, and you'll have your own room at my penthouse."

That's a relief. I was hoping his apartment here was bigger than his in our town.

"I guess that's true, but I still got on a damn plane with you."

"Just tell him it was a sudden thing, and it was," Oliver says. "I got a call at the party that they need me here for a meeting, and it seemed like this perfect chance to have you come. This city is where I became who I am, but you never saw it or got to be part of it. I want to show you now that we're finally friends again."

"Oh, gosh, Oliver, I love that, and I'm excited to get to know you here," I say, and I do relax at his words and I'm sure Hunter will get that, right?

"Come on," Oliver leads us inside a humongous skyrise, with a bunch of glass windows that reflect like mirrors. "My penthouse is in this building, and my company headquarters is too."

He scans a card, and the door beeps, then opens automatically for us.

"You don't own the building?" I ask as I follow him inside, and my eyes widen.

"Oh no," he laughs. "I don't have that kind of money."

"What kind of money do you have?" I ask curiously. "Are you a billionaire?"

"Nowhere near that," he says, as we walk through a small lobby. "I have assets totaling in the millions, but heavy debts and expenses too, it's all a balancing act. Like math every day, literally."

"Right up your alley," I say, and he chuckles.

He opens another set of double glass doors with his key card, and we step into a gorgeous atrium.

There's an oak counter that a security guard is sitting at by the door, and he nods at us as Oliver flashes a card at him.

The floors are all beautiful white marble with gold trim, and the ceilings seem like they go on forever. There's a large fountain in the center of the space, and several elevators along the back wall. Oliver leads us into one and pushes the button for the top floor. 

When we reach the top, we step unto the top floor, which looks different than the lobby area. The floor is carpeted in a thick grey carpet, and the walls are painted a soft white. We walk several feet before I finally see a door.

"There are only a few apartments up here," Oliver explains. "Mine, the owner of a trading company on the third floor, and a few others."

"So, the rent is high?" I guess.

"Very, but I rent two floors here in addition to my penthouse, so I get a good deal on it," Oliver confirms as he opens his door, and I step in.

He waves his hand over a sensor on the wall and the living space lights up.